Monday, May 15, 2017

WHEN THOU PASSETH THROUGH THE WATERS. Pts. 1-3


Pt. 1

As I write this particular blog, I happen to be listening to my favorite 24/7/365 radio/internet broadcast, “Night Sounds” with the late Bill Pearce. Tonight’s segment involves the topic of Betrayal. As anyone who closely follows my blog is aware, I have written on this topic in the past.

And though, as a counselor and mentor, I have experienced what I would refer to as betrayal, the implication of my current blog is more expansive; to include any number of negative social, circumstantial and physical dynamics and maladies which all of us encounter during the course of our lives.

It is hard to be set aside. It is difficult to experience financial loss. It is excruciating to lose someone near and dear to us.

And yet, we are reminded of God’s promises.

In Hebrews 13:5 we discover a singular verse.

“I will never leave you, nor forsake you.”

And you might immediately respond,

“Well, I have run across similar verses.”

(and)

“What is so singular about it?”

And while I am not a Greek scholar, I understand this verse stands alone in all of scripture for the multiple use of one word. I am told that in the original language the verse actually reads, as follows.

“I will never, never, never leave you, nor forsake you.”

Now, that puts a whole new spin on it! Apparently, God felt the need to reassure us of His abiding presence; (and to do so in a singular manner).

Pt. 2

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. (Isaiah 43:2)

As I write these words, it’s Mother’s Day, and our pastor shared the most amazing story in this morning’s sermon.

It seems he used to live near Leesburg, Virginia, and he spoke about having fished in the Potomac River as a child. He and his father would often resort to the riverbank at night, and throw out a line. And it so happened that another family, unknown to his father and him, did very much the same thing.

It was nearly dusk one late afternoon when Iva and her three young children drove up to a spot on the river where they’d fished many times before. Stepping from the vehicle, little Eva made it to the river’s edge first, and, without any apparent trepidation, the three year old stepped out into the ankle deep water. And feeling the coolness on her ankles, deeper still.

No sooner than Iva screamed little Eva’s name, the latter was swept off her feet, and the swift current dragged her away from the safety of the shoreline. Iva chose the only course of action which presented itself. Running towards her quickly disappearing child, she dove into a deep place along the riverbank. And swimming in the direction of her floundering daughter, she finally caught up with her. Wrapping one arm around the little girl, she attempted to swim with the other. To no avail.

The duo was being swept down the river at several miles an hour, and gradually found themselves in the middle of the Potomac. Word quickly spread, as several people jumped into their cars and sped down the road which bordered the shoreline. In the course of perhaps a half hour Iva and little Eva found themselves a couple miles from the spot in which they had been swept away from their favorite “fishing hole.”

By this time, a crowd lined both banks of the river, and men and women debated how they should respond to the tragedy. Suddenly, a black man dove into the dark water, and began swimming towards the unfortunate mother and daughter. He had hardly swum five or ten yards before his audience realized what strong swimming skills Henry possessed. Closer and closer the determined man came, and he quickly neared his goal.

Somehow the courageous man managed to grab hold of Iva’s blouse, and then the hem of her trousers, and in a manner reminiscent of the dear mother’s rescue attempt, he used one arm to ferry his charges to the shore.

Pt. 3

As believers, we have been given great and glorious promises that,

“Lo, I am with you always.”

(and)

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

And, as a result, it would be easy to interpret such reassurances to mean that nothing can ever harm or hinder the child of God. However, in spite of some of the most amazing circumstances in which our Lord has intervened, and social media posts I have read, scripture must be weighed against scripture.

What are we to do with the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11 or in a more practical sense, (at least to us) young persons whom we have known and loved who “have been taken before their time?”

The Prophet Isaiah had something to offer.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”. declares the Lord.

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways.” (Isaiah 55:8-9)

(and)

“I will give you riches in darkness and treasures in secret places.” (Isaiah 45:3)

I think we are left with the understanding that, (as one of my dear friends once shared with me in relation to the loss of her child) God has placed us here for a season, and when we have finished our assigned tasks, He will call us home.

Until then, He will hold us safely in the hollow of His hands, and we will be given grace to face every circumstance and every challenge with which we are confronted.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 55. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment