Monday, May 22, 2017

AS LONG AS TODAY SHALL LAST (Continue to encourage one another)




“But day by day and as long as today shall last, continue to encourage one another.” (Hebrews 3:13)



As I write this blog, I am listening to my favorite 24/7/365 radio/internet broadcast, “Night Sounds,” with the late Bill Pearce. Tonight’s segment is titled, “The Encouragers.”



Back in the early 70’s, while I was a member of the United States Air Force, I attended a week long revival service hosted by my church in Tampa. During his nightly sermons, the young evangelist displayed a peculiar trait which was distinctly his. For you see, when he “hit on” a point which personally impressed him and which he wished to emphasize, he would kick out his right leg like he was kicking a football. (During my 68 years on this planet, I have never seen anyone do such a thing before or since). On the last night of the revival meetings, Pastor Matheny invited anyone who would to line up and extend their thanks and farewells to the rather unique evangelist.



When it finally came my turn, and I extended my hand towards the preacher, he uttered two words.



“Stay encouraged!”



God only knows how many times I have thought of his parting words, nor how many times I have needed them. As a counselor, professor and mentor I have often parted with my clients, students and mentorees with the phrase,



“Forget me. Forget my name. But please don’t forget my message.”



Though I have long since forgotten the name of that young evangelist, I have never forgotten, nor failed to rely on the words he shared with me that evening.



Pt. 2



Encouragement



There’s simply nothing like it. And God knows, we all need it, and we would be hard-pressed to misuse such a wondrous gift, or to use it more often than it is necessary.



In tonight’s “Night Sounds” broadcast, Mr. Pearce spoke to the variables which allow encouragement to be the most effective. He made his audience aware that encouragement or praise should be immediate, it should be specific, and it should be genuine.



The “Night Sounds” radio host went on to speak about Dr. William Mayo, the founder of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, New York. It seems this great man was an encourager, par excellence. It has been said that he took every opportunity to encourage young doctors. As he happened to step onto a clinic elevator with one of his interns, more often than not, he would lay his hand on his or her shoulder, and say something like,

“I have been so impressed with your demeanor and expertise. I want you to know that,”

or

“I noticed the way you handled that unexpected issue in that patient’s room the other day. Why, I had never thought of doing it that way. I want you to know how impressed I was with the way you approached that problem.”



I mean, how great is that? Do you think perhaps those young doctors went away from that spontaneous moment, with the founder of the prestigious Mayo Clinic, renewed and refreshed?



(A rhetorical question, indeed).



Pt. 3



“But day by day and as long as today shall last, continue to encourage one another.” (Hebrews 3:13)



Scripture is replete with words of encouragement. I recently came across a passage of scripture which encouraged me more so than any words which I have read in a very long time.



But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (1st Peter 2:9)



God’s special possession.



Now, if this doesn’t make you feel good, and if that doesn’t inspire a feeling of self-worth within you, perhaps you should check your pulse!



Like Dr. Mayo, I believe in encouragement and practice it often. I mean, I have been known to lavish compliments on my clients, students, interns and fellow parishioners. And perhaps I’m a bit different than most folks, but there are times when I will place my hand on a man’s or woman’s forehead as a blessing of sorts, and may, (or may not) include words, such as, “May God intervene for you,” or “The Lord bless you and keep you, my friend.”



I guarantee you such a gesture will be remembered by the recipient long after I have gone on to my reward. And it is my intention that my words and actions be remembered; just as surely as I remember the two word blessing of that evangelist from so long ago; (and have so often relied upon it).

Pt. 4



“Stay encouraged.”



Encouragement inspires hope, and as the movie, “Shawshank Redemption” put it,



“Hope is among the best of things.”



I just came in from my 4am walk, and as I was prowling the streets of my local sidewalks something happened which reminded of a small event which occurred on a similar walk in the past.



As I walked the highways and byways of the community in which I live, a car passed, perhaps a couple dozen yards from me, and I caught a whiff of the most marvelous perfume which wafted from the window of the vehicle. And I immediately realized that, at least it seemed to me, my sense of smell was heightened in the still of the darkness.



And that something which happened in the wee hours of this morning?



As I strode along that sidewalk which borders a major highway, suddenly an automobile rolled to a stop from a side street, facing me, and across the four lanes of traffic. I was like a deer in its headlights, as the utter blackness of the night was suddenly pierced. And, oddly enough, I sensed a momentary, but distinguishable rise in the temperature of the air which surrounded me.



My friends, Encouragement is very much like the rich perfume which permeated the darkness to which I previously alluded, and the light which momentarily warmed the night which is just now concluding.



As someone near and dear to me, but whose name I have long since forgotten, once said,



“Stay encouraged.”


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 55. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment