Thursday, May 4, 2017

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR CONGRESSMAN (OR NOT)?


I’m convinced our congressmen would prefer their constituents just leave them alone to cater to big business and miscellaneous lobbyists of various stripes.

I mean, I just brought up the website of Congressman Dennis Ross who represents my central Florida district. My agenda was to provide him my ‘2 cents worth’ on the latest Republican attempt to abolish Obamacare; as the current bill would subtract money for Medicaid. And since my disabled daughter depends on Medicaid, I am almost violently opposed to said bill.

It seems this congressman (and no doubt others) wish to assure that whomever (or whatever) contacts him (them) is not a robot.

As a result, I was led through a series of montages in which I had to select every building, or every car, or every tire on a car. As it fell together if one properly selects each and every item of the same sort among three montages, he or she is allowed to leave an email message.

However, if one improperly marks or fails to select every example of the items among the montages, he or she will be shown additional montages. One additional variable inherent in the selection is that some of the photographs may be difficult to interpret, as the result of the fuzziness of the picture or the almost microscopic inclusion of the item from among which one is required to choose.

And thus, having failed to select all the appropriate photographs I was required to continue selecting from among multiple montages. Initially, I just gave up, and clicked off the website. However, two minutes later it occurred to me that if I simply “laid down and died” I would not have been fair to my daughter, (and would have jeopardized her care) nor would I have been fair to the democratic process of government.

Ultimately, I managed to send my email, but I can’t tell you it was easy. (Au Contraire).



My dear congressmen, it’s bad enough that you cater to the whims of big business and a multitude of lobbyists; (rather than to the will of the people). Must you insist on making it this difficult for your constituents …to merely contact you?

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 54. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin






No comments:

Post a Comment