Tuesday, May 2, 2017

GRAY. (A Remininescence About Aging). Pts. 1-2

      I just returned from a trip to West Virginia and Kentucky. 
      I only get up that way every couple of years; during which time I visit with two of my daughters. This time around, one of my sons made the trip with me. Geographically he’s a bit closer, but not by all that much, and, admittedly, I hadn’t seen him since his granddad passed away all of five years ago.
      I expect Steve, Mary and Kimberly notice subtle (or not so subtle) changes in their father each time we are fortunate enough to meet again.
      Speaking of changes, I have a running joke going on with my counseling clients.
      “I’m 35, (as long as I avoid mirrors”).
      And as two of my children approach that old ‘5’ with the goose egg to the right of it, and all but one is on the threshold of 40, (or has ‘driven past’ it) I am all too aware of the physiological changes in their lives. Nothing nearly as dramatic as the metamorphosis in my countenance, mind you, but one feature, in particular, is impressed upon me.
      Whereas, their hair was, the last time we met, respectively brown or blonde in color, this time around I cannot help but notice the gray highlights about the temple, and playing about the crown of their scalps.
      Of course, such an happenstance is momentarily shocking, and a poignant scripture immediately comes to mind.
      “These things ought not to be.”

      And I can only silently muse,

      “If my children are increasingly old(er) and gray(er), where does that leave me?”

      Pt. 2

      Where, indeed, does this leave me?

      Strange to imagine those former wee ones who once held my hand and slumbered peacefully in the next room are staring into the noon day sun, and I into a gradually deepening sunset.
      But it is as it has always been and will be for generations unimagined.
      It occurs to me that gray is a bless-ed color, indeed, since it is THE color which accompanies the passage of time, and our personal passage of time is indicative of a rich opportunity in which Providence might fulfill its potential.
      And it occurs to me that the silver highlights which tint the hair of my sons and daughters are indicative of length of life, as that tint has long since adorned my own; whereas too many whom I knew and loved have long since passed from this life, and that right early, and before that bless-ed color was granted for them to enjoy.

      I think I will never think of gray quite the same way again,

      …for is it not the color with which destiny clothes itself?

      By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 53. Copyright pending

      If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

      ***********
      If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

      Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

      Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


    No comments:

    Post a Comment