Thursday, May 4, 2017

THY ROD & THY STAFF, THEY COMFORT ME? Pts. 1-2

      The other day “from out of nowhere” I thought about a particular passage from Psalm 23.
      “Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.” 

      And at about the same time I thought about the connotation of the two nouns in the first half of the sentence.

      Rod & Staff

      Old Testament shepherds used their staffs to herd the sheep in a particular direction. Whereas, they used the rod to discipline a sheep which had chosen the wrong pathway, or which had chosen to bully another animal in the flock.

      And subsequent to my foregoing thoughts I gained a bit of insight which I have never heard preached behind a pulpit.

      The shepherd’s rod and the staff may very well have been… the same stout stick, and that the role in which the stick was being used determined the momentary name being assigned to it.
      And I wondered, “What is the Sam Hill is comforting about a spanking?” (and) “How could King David infer the rod was such a comforting thing?”

      And before my head exploded for all the great wisdom with which I was suddenly endowed I thought of another verse in the New Testament, (and with it came the answer to my questions).

      “But day by day and as long as today shall last, continue to encourage one another.” (Hebrews 3:13)

      Pt. 2

      In this segment of the holy writ we are told to encourage one another. Of course, we are all familiar with the definition of ‘Encouragement’


      “The process by which we offer someone support, confidence, or hope.”

      When we hear or see the word or when it is being practiced upon us the endorphins and dopamines naturally flow easily throughout the tissue of our brains. Such an absolutely cozy, comfortable thing it is to be encouraged.

      I mean, who among the 8 billion members of mankind who inhabit this planet doesn’t like to be encouraged?

      (Or do we really)?

      For you see, there is an alternate definition for Encouragement.

      “The process by which we provoke courage to rise to the surface; often by means of an admonition or challenge or warning.”

      And it occurred to me that the rod and the staff to which David referred, possibly the same stout stick, was never used except as a tool to encourage the sheep; (given there are two definitions for the word).

      Consider what the Great Shepherd of the Universe has to say about it.

      “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
      and do not lose heart when He rebukes you,
      because the Lord disciplines the one He loves,
      and He chastens everyone He accepts as His son.”
      (Hebrews 12:5-6)


      “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” (Hebrews 12:11)

      (Well now, that seems rather comfortable).

      Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.


      By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 54. Copyright pending

      If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.
      ***********
      If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

      Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

      Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


    No comments:

    Post a Comment