Monday, May 8, 2017

A THESIS ON THE CAREER HOMELESS. Pts. 1 of 5


I readily admit it. I have mixed opinions about homelessness.

But for the grace of God my family and I might have found ourselves among the ranks of the homeless in the mid-70’s; after I completed my service in the Air Force. At the time, we moved from Florida to Virginia, and jobs were hard to come by. We were fortunate enough to live with my mother in law for a couple of months, while I looked for a menial job position in the area.

Perhaps I’m better informed than the average person, and as a result I may be a bit more bias than average. And I can tell you, it’s more than just head knowledge, as will soon be apparent. I mean, who hasn’t seen ‘them’ standing in the median of the highway with those hand printed signs, “I will work for food” (or) “Homeless. Please Help.” And while I have never offered to pick up a homeless fella from the median and offer for him to mow my yard, I’m convinced that the average guy in the median holding a sign would rather you just give him a $10 bill and go about your business.

Who can deny there are legitimate cases in which a man, or woman or entire family are homeless, and “in between?” Obviously, in our present economy people lose their jobs and lose their homes and wind up living in their automobiles for a season.

I’ve been approached numerous times by men wearing the shabbiest of clothes, and the plea, “Buddy, do you have a couple dollars?” I’ve also witnessed similarly attired men stumbling down the sidewalk holding a brown paper bag in one hand.

Did I mention I’m a bit more informed on the subject, (and a bit more biased) than the average person? (Well, I think I am). You see, I completed my doctoral dissertation on the topic of Schizophrenia. And in my academic submission I allude to the following.

(to be continued)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 54. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment