Monday, May 8, 2017

REMEMBER, YOU HAVE PEOPLE HERE. Pt. 3


Pt. 3

At the top of her social media page, a silhouette of a dancing girl; surrounded by any number of birds in flight. And beneath the photograph, a homemade maxim.

“A Jewish girl who's  been forever captured, and set free by God.”

There could be no doubt. I had found her again.

Of course, I expressed my joy with having renewed our friendship, and Jane reciprocated in kind.

And it was through Jane that I met her friend, EM, a lovely African-American girl.

Odd, that even as the result of social media, and having never met someone, spiritual (and altogether platonic) connections are formed; connections which have the potential of lasting a lifetime.

Both Jane and EM are involved with teaching art in an elementary environment. I have to believe this is how they met and became fast friends.

The latter of the two and I have interacted about a multitude of things, but it seems we always come back to the topic of genealogy. We are both avid amateurs and have often dialogued about our mixed ethnicity. (As the result of a DNA test my mother accomplished two weeks before she went on to her reward, I discovered the presence of a small African-American lineage in, apparently, my grandmother’s bloodline). From my youth I have always the complexions of my forebears on our Native American heritage; an oral tradition which seems to have been a fabricated falsehood to mask the existence of “something else.”

EM has almost made me homesick for a place which I have visited, but one time in my life.

“New York, New York is an amazing place to live. There are so many people, so much to see, and so many cultures. People think it's over crowded, but that is why I like it. I don't like the feeling of walking down a street and not seeing people.”

I’m under the illusion that I might like to live there, though at this writing the possibility seems rather remote.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 54. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line. 

***********
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All of my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin







No comments:

Post a Comment