Monday, January 18, 2016

Mother Teresa's Poem



As the novice missionary sailed for the first time, the humble nun who later was referred to as “Mother Teresa” wrote a poignant poem entitled,

FAREWELL

I’m leaving my dear house
And my beloved land
To steamy Bengal go I
To a distant shore.

I’m leaving old friends
Forsaking family and home
My heart draws me onward
To serve my Christ

Goodbye, O mother dear
May God be with you all
A Higher Power compels me
Towards torrid India

The ship moves slowly ahead
Cleaving the ocean waves,
As my eyes take one last look
At Europe’s dear shores.

Bravely standing on the deck
Joyful, peaceful  of mien,
Christ’ happy little one,
His new bride to be.

In her hand a cross of iron
On which the Savior hangs,
While her eager soul offers there
Its painful sacrifice.

“Oh God, accept the sacrifice
As a sign of my love,
Help, please, Thy creature
To glorify thy Name!

In return, I only ask of Thee,
O most kind Father of all:
Let me save at least one soul –
One  you already know.”

Fine and pure as summer dew
Her soft warm tears begin to flow,
Sealing and sanctifying now
Her painful sacrifice.

By Mother Teresa of Calcutta









No comments:

Post a Comment