Friday, January 1, 2016

Planting Seedlings. Growing Trees

**If you wish to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index on the right of this blog. Next, click on the title of my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You." All my blog titles for 2015 will appear in the index.



As I sit here pecking out one letter after another, word after word, I am also watching a marathon broadcast of The (entire) Twilight Zone series of b&w television segments. Well, to be fair, this time around I have watched roughly 10, maybe 12 of the total of perhaps 150 half-hour segments which have aired on a 24 hour basis over the past few days.


One of my favorites of all time just ran. 


“The Changing of the Guard”


In this segment an aged professor (portrayed by Donald Pleasance) is given the shaft, I mean involuntarily retired; having taught three generations of boys over the course of half a century. As a result, after returning home, and finding himself unable to sleep, he stumbles out into the snow.


And as he shuffles across the green, and into his old classroom, he speaks aloud.


“My life has amounted to absolute nothing. I have taught a bunch of dunderheads who left my presence with nothing more than a cranium full of air. I have taught by rote, and my teaching has left little, or no impression upon the hundreds of boys who passed through this classroom. I came here with nothing, and I am leaving nothing of any import behind.”


I can relate.


While I am so often expectant, hopeful and encouraged, there are times when I feel morose about my own value to the world, and whether or not I will leave anything of any real substance behind.


(Though I have) I like to remind myself, counseled thousands, taught hundreds and mentored dozens. (But that is not to say I have made all that much difference in lives, or that I have lived a life of impact).



Lately, I have felt very much like that elderly professor, (though allow me to avoid the details. I will leave it to your imagination).


But to hearken back to the “Changing of the Guard” broadcast.


As the segment ends, and as the professor contemplates his seeming lack of value to the world, suddenly the empty room is filled with the ghosts of school days gone by.


One after the other steps forward, and introduces himself to their former professor.


“I’m Alan Guthison. I never forgot the prose and poems you shared with us, and the courage your words instilled in me. I died on the beaches of Normandy. I was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for falling on a grenade; so that others might live.”


(and)


“I’m James Bledsoe. You may remember me. I researched the properties of radioactivity, and died recently of over-exposure to gamma rays. I can’t tell you how precious the year I spent in your classroom was to me, and how you inspired me to do great things.” 


And one by one, they step forward, and share their thoughts and thanks with the humble professor.


And it is because I am convinced that



… “My students are living messages to a time that I will never see,”


(like the professor) my heart is revived, and I continue.


I am so often brought back from the brink of a negative mindset and abject hopelessness by the deeds and assurances of those whom I have counseled, mentored, and influenced for good and for God.


One in particular shared such inestimably precious words with me I could not help but be inspired and encouraged.


“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I will speak for you when you can no longer speak. I’ll go for you when you can no longer go. I will impact lives in your name, after you have gone on to your reward, and raise up others to take our place.”


In spite of any emotion, and any evidence to the contrary I will stay the course, and I will continue to plant seedlings under whose shade I never expect to sit.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 21. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above






No comments:

Post a Comment