Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Time Travel

**If you wish to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index on the right of this blog. Next, click on the title of the blog which appears; (my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You.") All my blog titles for 2015 will appear in the index.



The year was 1993, and my wife, and I found ourselves in Lynchburg, Virginia. I was enrolled in a distance education degree with Liberty University, and was attending my second and last required residential course.

     I am “eat up” with the Civil War. By 1945 my Great, Great Uncle was one of the few remaining veterans of that war. He served as Commander in Chief of United Confederate Veterans, the official fraternal organization, during the middle of the 20th century. 

     (My wife and I have visited at least ten battlefields, and I’m still an inactive member of Sons of Confederate Veterans, which continues the lineage and tradition of the United Confederate Veterans).

     Wilmer Mclean was a prominent citizen of Virginia during the mid- 1800’s. He had moved to Lynchburg from Manassas, the site of the first significant battle of the war. That battle actually took place on his property. Having witnessed this national shame firsthand, he was determined to move as far away, as possible. The completely ironic and unexpected occurred. The Civil War ended in his new hometown, on his property, in his living room!

      I could not leave that area without seeing Appomattox Courthouse for myself. It was just a “hop and a jump” from Lynchburg and my school. My wife and I had visited the site earlier in the week, and had toured the home of Mr. Mclean Generals Lee and Grant, (a distant cousin of mine) negotiated there, so long ago. On this very spot two signatures reconciled a divided country. 

     However, “we took a notion” to travel there again by night, just prior to leaving the area for good. Though we couldn’t go onto the site after hours, it just seemed right to get a final flavor of The Historic. It was to be a memorable evening for me.

      As we neared the property, my wife took a small item out of her purse, and inserted it into the audio tape deck of our rental car. Unbeknown to me, she had purchased a copy of authentic Civil War music that very day. The strains and cords of the music filled our car, and the emotions I felt then have remained with me to this day! 

      It was like traveling back in time. It was so reminiscent of riding in a time machine. Never in my life have I experienced anything quite like it.

      It was a pale, but poignant shadow of having been there.

By William McDonald. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment