Friday, January 1, 2016

Your Grandchildren Are in the Box

**If you wish to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index on the right of this blog. Next, click on the title of my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You." All my blog titles for 2015 will appear in the index.



There’s a scene in the book and movie “Shackleton,” in which an Antarctic expedition photographer/videographer may be seen filming the crew of her majesty’s ship, “Endurance.” The young man, as all photographers are apt to do, can be heard giving instructions to a motley assemblage of Englishmen, as they stand on the deck of the ship. 


“C’mon men. Look at the lens. Your children, and grandchildren and great grandchildren are here; just inside this box.”


This concept struck me rather strange, a bit poignant, and quite true. After all, in all those momentary reflections which were committed to a glass lens and celluloid film, a hundred years hence, they were leaving something of themselves behind; to be discovered by, and delighted in by their countless descendants. 


And so, with each image for which our own distant ancestors posed, they provided us some understanding of why we look the way we do; enlightening those of us who would never have the privilege, (or possibly the misfortune,) of knowing them in person.


We look into those unblinking eyes which stare out at us from fading black and white celluloid photographs, and it is all too apparent that not only did we never know them, but that we will never have the opportunity to know them. You see they never left anything behind. And that’s just sad.


Well, granted, they might have left us one or two fading photographs, and photographs are nice, but I think if that’s all we leave behind, well, it’s simply not enough.


Neither, I think, is it enough to leave a bit of land or “green paper with dead president’s pictures.” Neither land nor jewels nor cash represent or characterize us very well to our descendants.


While land, money and photographs and such things are nice, and add something to our lives, I believe every one of us should consider leaving something more personable, more tangible, and more enduring behind.


A written, video, or audio record of our having lived, and moved, and breathed:

A daily diary, journal or blog has the potential to inform and influence those among our descendants whom we will never have the wherewithal to meet in person, allowing them to know who we were, what we believed, what values we held, whom we loved, how we lived, etc.


Too many of my direct ancestors, as well as yours, just seemed to be “too busy living” to leave anything behind. I personally think that’s just a crying shame, and I, for one, am not content to follow their lead.


I have been fortunate to discover three examples of written materials which have been “left behind” by members of my extended family. 


A great uncle authored a volume containing his Civil War memoirs. A distant cousin left behind a journal of his experiences while on an 1849 overland journey between Wisconsin and California. Another cousin penned an academic thesis while finishing the requirements for a graduate degree in philosophy.


Not to be outdone, (since I would be a hypocrite if I failed to follow my own advice) I have compiled four hard drives which contain, (and to which I continue to add):  Ministry Materials, Genealogical Research representing multiple branches of my family, Unpublished Volumes which I have written, and Family Photographs, Audios and Videos. Upon my passing each of my children will be provided copies of these resources; with the admonition that when newer methods of electronic storage are developed that these materials should be upgraded to the newest media devices. In turn, I expect my children to bequeath these resources to their children, and so forth.

Following is an excerpt from my autobiography:


“As I write these words I am here, and you are not. As you read these words, you are here, and I am not. 


The written word, like almost nothing else, has the capacity to unite me with you, to commune with you, and to convey something of my essence, encouragement and affection to you at a time when I no longer have the wherewithal to do so in any other manner. If you are reading this, that time is now, and I will have gone on to my reward.

My dear grandchildren, I have long considered prayer my ministry to you. I have prayed for you, though as I write this many of you are little more than ‘a twinkle in your great Granddad’s eyes.’


Life is too hard and too unpredictable for anyone to go it alone. I have prayed for you on a daily basis. I wanted you to know. You are loved with an everlasting love.”


Granddad

There is another profound way in which we can leave something behind, (and one which I highly recommend.)


In the third chapter of Philippians, Chapter 3, Verse 17 the Apostle Paul admonished his readers


“I invite you to pattern your life after mine, and notice others who live to this standard.”


If we were to examine the foregoing verse, and subtract any words which would not detract from the meaning, we are left with a two word phrase, “Copy Me.”


There are literally billions of people living today who, in so many words or their behavior, have suggested the same thing to friends and family, alike. However, a significant percentage of them, while playing the part of role models, have set a negative standard. Role modeling can just as easily be destructive as constructive.

Over the past twenty plus years I have had both the opportunity and privilege of counseling thousands, teaching hundreds and mentoring dozens. As I look back on those two decades, and the way God has chosen to use me, I marvel. And I am inestimably grateful.


Bill Pearce, host of the Night Sounds Radio broadcast, produced and narrated a myriad of topic-related programs; over the course of many years. My wife and I used to listen to this broadcast on a nightly basis. Recently I learned that Night Sounds was available on the internet, and around 1am each morning I find myself “dialing up” the website, and settling back in my comfy chair for a pleasant and insightful half-hour. Sadly, Bill was admitted to a nursing facility several years ago with symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, and in 2010 he went on to his reward. 


In spite of having closed the door to his beloved Chicago studio for the final time, Mr. Pearce continues to impact countless men, women and children with Christ-honoring music, practical teaching and rich encouragement. Whereas Bill impacted people when he was alive, he continues to do so through the medium of an expansive archive of thousands of radio broadcasts. This fine and selfless man was also a master baritone soloist, and trombonist, and also produced a series of Old Testament and New Testament audio tapes which continues to touch the lives of millions of people.


The foregoing example is just one of many of whom I have chosen as role models and who have fascinated, and compelled me over the years. While I never had the opportunity to “sit under” a flesh and blood mentor, there are several men and women, (strangely all dead) whom I count as mentors, whose life set the highest of standards, and in whom I have invested trust.


I once attended a local high school graduation ceremony, and a particular statement which was momentarily displayed on a screen has remained with me, and “will not let me go.”


“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”
A precious young lady named Rita Scott, whom I had the pleasure of counseling, mentoring, discipling, and encouraging once graced my life with a poignant and reassuring promise:


Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you.
I’ll go for you when you can no longer go.
I’ll speak for you when your lips no longer speak.
I’ll reach, teach and keep lives in your name
long after you’ve gone on to your reward.


At this point I want to provide each of you with a handout. In it are several verses taken from the Book of Philippians. I have always loved the Phillips Paraphrase of the New Testament, and its language fascinated me so much that one day I sat down and did a true to the original paraphrase of my own; well, at least the Book of Philippians. This handout contains a few excerpts from my paraphrase. Each verse in the handout extols the virtue of (drum roll)… Mentoring.


Tonight I have referred to the value of Christian mentoring; whether by leaving something of yourself behind in the form of a daily journal which you make arrangements to bequeath to a family member or younger friend, or in the form of the informal or formal interaction with a Christian who is younger in the faith than you, yourself.


I never had the opportunity to be formally mentored. As a new Christian no one took me under their wings and offered me a structured, or even informal program which taught some of the practicalities of Christian life and major doctrines of the church. I think that’s sad.


Granted, someone, a William Kirsche, once stood in a pulpit and preached the salvation message to which I responded, and someone, a Jerry Tremstra, knelt with me at the altar, and granted, after my salvation experience, I attended church, and a pastor, a Rev. Asbury, taught the Word from the pulpit, but I was just never exposed to a discipling process. 


I  have jokingly, but just as seriously said that all my mentors are dead people. I have learned and gleaned as I went, “on purpose,” and almost without exception from the pens and lives of those who have gone on to their reward; people like, Amy Carmichael, Peter Marshall and Jim Elliot.


I have referred to my own brand of mentoring in which I developed a formal weekly session, year-long program which I have been privileged to teach to dozens of young, and not so young people preparing for a ministry or helping vocation. Over the years I have provided the program to nurses, ministers, missionaries and social workers, among others. Many of my interns have gone on to finish their master’s degrees at various universities, minister to people in places like China, and served overseas as missionaries to countries such as Indonesia. I have mentored numerous young adults here at this church; mostly who attend elsewhere.


By the way, I was gratified to understand that Ken and Paula have put together a program for the small nucleus of youth at this church.


But having said all of the above, I believe as mostly older adults we are all called to be mentors… to someone. Christ has commanded, (not suggested) that we all make a difference in another person’s life. You may be a grandparent of an adolescent who is new in, and possibly struggling in the faith. By a purposeful word, or action you can be a role model to that grandchild. You may have a neighbor who has once known and practiced new life in Christ, and who has been disillusioned by someone in the church, and slipped away. Scripture tells us to be ready in season and out, and challenges us to be ready always to give an answer. You young people, though new in the faith, may have an ad-lib opportunity to share the Gospel with a wayward soul, or encourage someone younger than you in the faith.


No of us are absolved from, or immune from mentoring another individual. It is a Christian duty and virtue to do so.


As Christians, you and I have been given the inestimable privilege, as the result of our words and deeds, of impacting the next generation. We ourselves were once so touched, and those dear men and women who impacted us are counting on us to replicate ourselves among those who are in the process of coming after us. And in so doing we are granted the opportunity to, in essence, live on; well after we have stepped over that heavenly threshold.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 15. Copyright Vol.'s 1-15. 2015


If you wish to copy, save or share this blog, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment