Monday, January 4, 2016

Spritual Horoscopes

**If you wish to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index on the right of this blog. Next, click on the title of my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You." All my blog titles for 2015 will appear in the index.



From time to time I run across what only today I have decided to call, “Spiritual Horoscopes.”

You know those, “Thus saith the Lord” sorta social media posts, i.e.,

“You shall prosper, and achieve everything that God sets it in your heart to accomplish. Though Satan should come against you, he will be trodden beneath your feet.” 

(etc).

And before anyone “jumps in with both feet” and criticizes my entire lack of knowledge about such things, I can tell you that I have been an evangelical of the Pentecostal persuasion for half a century, that I was once privileged to serve as an adjunct professor in a denominational-affiliated university, and that I mentor and disciple young adults in various practical and biblical areas, including that of The Gifts and Offices of the Holy Spirit.

And to be sure, I believe in the ongoing New Testament gift of Prophecy. And I believe it is still operative in our world today.

I believe in individual and group prophecies. I have “shared a word” with a few of my counseling clients, and I knew that I knew the word I shared came down from above, and was meant for a particular individual. I have filled a pew in my local church when someone stood, and shared what he or she regarded as a prophetic word, or Word of Knowledge for the local congregation.

I suppose I am referring to two variables here; amongst which I have the most concern.

1.     Whether or not what someone purports to be a prophecy should be shared with the entire body of believers, scattered throughout the world, by way of social media, internet, electronic means, etc.

2.     Whether or not what someone purports to be a prophecy is, in fact, inspired at all

In regard to the first matter, I tend to believe we do ourselves and God a disservice if we attempt to generalize what may be an individualized prophecy; meant in all likelihood for a person, or localized group of persons.

Speaking of “generalized,” I mean, I have seen too much of it. Virtually, without fail, every one of those prophetic words which goes out on social media are altogether positive, but lacking specificity, as to who, what, why, where, when, and how. 

(And after all, not every experience or event which we confront in life is positive in nature, and those which fall into this category tend to be extremely specific, usually not all that fun. We have only to consider the believers of Hebrews Chapter 11). 

The only thing we can be altogether sure of is that

… in the end, we win!

Forgive me, but I might as well be reading my daily horoscope in the newspaper for the tenor and tone of the “prophetic words” I have discovered on social media. (And speaking of horoscopes, if you weren’t aware, whether you are a Gemini or Taurus, someone, somewhere sits down at their coffee table and invents every horoscope ever submitted to the newspapers).

In terms of the genesis, and inspiration of a so-called Word of Prophecy, scripture tells us to “test the spirits to see if they are of God.”

In too many cases, I have questioned whether what has been purported to be a Word of Prophecy was closer to a spiritual horoscope, and if, indeed, God could be blamed for any part of it.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 21. Copyright pending.

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above








No comments:

Post a Comment