Saturday, January 9, 2016

Brief, Brief (Not, Not)

**Google has notified me and other blogspot bloggers that after January 11th, only subscribers to Google.com will be able to access this and other blogs on its site. I'm hopeful that those who read my blog will sign up with Google.com so that you may continue reading this blog. Its free. No cost. So what are you waiting for?
*********
**If you wish to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my blog titles for 2015 will appear in the index.


*********

The year was 2008, and my cousin Kimberly, and I worked together to plan, organize and conduct a gravemarking ceremony for our ancient immigrant grandfather, Isham McDonald; who fought in the American Revolution and ultimately settled in south Georgia.

After many months of preparation, (including the manufacture and placement of a beautiful VA marble headstone) it all finally came together. About 200 family and friends met at the little Cat Creek Cemetery, along with representatives of The Sons of the American Revolution adorned in uniforms of that period, bagpipers fitted out in their formal kilts, and a bugler lent by the local boy scouts.

In honor of my immigrant grandfather, and as an Army retiree I wore my dress blue uniform, and had prepared a speech for the solemn occasion. 

Though it was a solemn occasion, indeed, a laugh always escapes me when I watch the “re-runs” on video. For when my time arrives, the elderly Georgia S.A.R. chairperson steps to the microphone and says,

“And now Private McDonald’s great great great grandson is coming to share a brief, brief message.”

At that time, (and each and every time I watch the film), I recall thinking,

“Are you kidding me? ‘brief, brief?’ Ummm, not, not. After all the work that went into this production? Not to mention the love those who are assembled here have for their ancestor, and the respect which is due him. Uh, no way, Jose!”

And you might guess that I proceeded to be anything but “brief, brief” with my comments relating to my dear ancestor.

Oh how much we owe to those who went through the blood and suffering of the Revolution, 

… and how exceptionally proud I am of my ancient immigrant grandfather.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 1. Vol.'s 1-15, Copyright 2015

If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above



No comments:

Post a Comment