Monday, March 11, 2019

EVEN IF


We live in an age and culture of entitlement.



Believers and unbelievers, alike, ‘come along’ thinking that the world owes them a living. The allure of this world’s ‘trinkets’ and the love of money sing their siren’s song to unbelievers, while believers have been blinded by the so-called ‘Prosperity Gospel.’



It is the wise and well-grounded Christian who prepares himself or herself for ‘come what may,’ and realizes that he or she is not immune to trouble, trial and turmoil, and that God will not always prevent suffering from knocking on their proverbial door.



We become too familiar with verses like, “If you ask anything in my name, I will do it” (and) “The prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well” and immunize ourselves against such verses as, “I reckon that the sufferings of this present time aren’t worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us” (and) “Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Christ” (and) “In the world you will experience tribulation.”



Like the majority of people in their seventh decade of life, I have seen more than my share of suffering. And I can tell you it ain’t been all that much fun.



The mental illness of a daughter. The mind-bending experience of cancer in my and my wife’s lives. Divorce in the lives of our children. The loss of parents. Betrayal by those whom I never would have betrayed. Broken bones and near death experiences.



God doesn’t always say ‘yes.’ Sometimes he says ‘no.’ Contrary to popular belief, God doesn’t always save. (Ask the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11, and those present day martyrs who have succumbed to the swords of the so-called Islamic State).



Over the past couple of years the song, “Even If” by Mercy Me has spoken to me. And it has especially been ‘there there’ when I am enduring things which I would prefer not to endure.



I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone


I know the sorrow, I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone



It is well with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul



God is always good, but He simply doesn’t march to the beat of our personal drummer. He is sovereign and will do what He wills. Once we have prayed and left a given scenario in His hands, we can be sure He will choose the right course for us. Dear friends, this isn’t all there is. When this life is past, we will have a million million years to dwell in His presence, and experience absolute peace and contentment.



In the meantime, I am comforted by the words of that song.



“But even if you don’t

My hope is You alone.”

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment