Friday, March 1, 2019

DON'T BE THE NEXT ME. BE THE FIRST YOU


Pt. 1

My wife and I decided to check out a movie today that was way beyond what I might refer to as our “genre level.” You see, it was a wrestling movie. Granted, more than half a century ago, I liked professional wrestling. Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Randy “Macho Man” Savage, Lex Lugar, etc., etc. But I’m afraid those days are behind me. In my day and time, we believed all the impressive athletic antics were real, and we would have never imagined it “was all made up.”

Now, of course, the World Wrestling Federation has changed its name to World Wrestling Entertainment, and they admit having done what they have always done. Does the word “entertainment” give you a clue? We have a couple of die-hard fans of professional wrestling at my church, but I don’t blame Kavan and Eric. I have already inferred that I “ate the stuff up” when I was their age. To be sure, the guys that head drop each other on the mat, and throw each other through the ropes to an unforgiving concrete floor are terrific, well-conditioned athletes. No doubt about that.

But it just ain’t me anymore, and I admit being just a little hesitant to spend $16.06 for two tickets to “Fighting With My Family.” It is the true story of an English father and mother, son and daughter who are obsessed with professional wrestling, and each and every family member has spent a great deal of time in the ring in actual competition.

As the movie progresses, brother and sister Zak and Saraya (Paige) are afforded the opportunity of a lifetime, and report to the English tryouts for the WWE training camp.

Pt. 2

After the brother-sister duo walk into the building, they are immediately taken up with the size of the arena, the colorful lights, and the “rough and tumble” of numerous wrestlers, as they “strut their stuff” in several square rings near the front of the building.

Suddenly, a very familiar figure walks past Zak and Paige, and the second of the three individuals shouts,

“Hey man, aren’t you the Rock?”

To which Dwayne Johnson smiles and shakes his head in the affirmative.

The brother and sister can hardly believe their eyes.

Zak introduces himself and his sister, and “puts himself out there” knowing he may never have another chance like this one to speak to one of the super heroes of the WWE.

“Mr. Johnson, if you could give me and my sister just one piece of advice about breaking into the WWE, what would it be?”

(and)

“I mean, Mr. Rock, I want to be, I just gotta be the next you!”

However, something about Zak’s words and approach didn’t go over very well with the famous wrestler and movie star, and he begins to lamblast the young man.

“You come into my house, and you take it on yourself to get familiar with me? Boy, you ain’t nothing! You’re talking to the greatest wrestler alive, man. You bring your namby-pamby personality and words, and you insult me to my face with just how weak and paltry you really are! Man, I ain’t got no time for your sorry rear ends!”

Needless to say, Zak and Paige cower like sheep in the presence of a wolf.

And then it all changes. Their idol lowers his voice, and a grin spreads across his rugged face.

“Hey guys. What you just saw in action was my screen persona. The Rock. Now, let me assume the guise of Dwayne Johnson. Zak and Paige, you want me to give you some advice? You don’t want to be the next me. You need to be the first you!”

Pt. 3

Ultimately, both siblings complete their tryouts, and as it falls together only one of them is chosen for the WWE training camp in the United States. As a matter of fact, only one of the ten or twelve in their particular group was chosen.

Paige

And as you might imagine, the young lady goes on to experience “some ups and downs” and comes close to “bombing out.” However, hope against hope, as the movie reaches its zenith, the young English girl is afforded the opportunity to fight the reigning diva of the WWE and…wins!

And though I had been determined to “give it a whirl,” I almost walked out of the movie during the first few minutes. I just knew I wasn’t going to like it. At least for me, anything to do with the fakest ‘sport’ in human history couldn’t teach me anything.

The real Paige wrestled for World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. for several years, and defended her diva title several times. And I think she never forgot the Rock’s admonition.

“You don’t want to be the next me. You need to be the first you!”

Did I say the fakest sport in the history of mankind couldn’t teach me anything? Boy, was I wrong!

I can’t tell you why the fifteen words spoken by a well-muscled superstar of the WWE struck me as hard as they did. But I can tell you, his words spoke to my very soul!

So much so that when I got home, I pulled the torn ticket stub out of my pants pocket, and placed it in my desk drawer. I wanted to remember.

You see, as a counselor and mentor, I am ‘into’ pat phrases which have some import for a life of excellence. And I think, no, I am sure that the Rock’s suggestion is good and genuine, and authentic and viable.

Each of us has been afforded a different personality. We all have our own distinctive talents. Each of us has been graced with our own unique God-given gifts. We are all individually called to impact certain lives, and to fulfill a providential destiny. We are as different as the number of hairs on our heads, and prints on our fingers.

I don’t want to be the next anybody. I need to be first me.

You don’t want to be the next anyone. You need to be the first you.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment