Wednesday, March 6, 2019

MIRACLES OR MARTYRS?


Among believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, I have often thought that one facet of “working out your own salvation in fear and trembling” (Phil 2:12) has been disregarded in favor of the so-called “Prosperity Gospel” and “a miracle under every teacup.” And this particular facet is one of not getting everything we ask for, or think we have a right to.

I am a subscriber to Facebook, and I admit spending a bit too much time on that site. Admittedly, it can become addictive. (Gotta check those messages and comments). At any rate, many of my social media friends are Christians, and I see any number of posts related to healing and miracles as I scroll down my homepage on a daily basis.

And then there’s the group messages that people pass along which claim that, “If you forward this message to ten friends, you will get the miracle you have been praying for within 48 hours” (or) “If you forward this video to five people you despise most in the world, someone will ring your doorbell tomorrow, and give you a hundred dollar bill.” And based on the inference of this blog, I don’t have to tell you what I do with messages like those. (Not a darned thing).

Now, don’t misjudge me, dear readers. I believe in miracles and I believe in healing. I have been the recipient of both. (But honestly, I don’t believe in those group messages). However, the same God who encouraged us to pray for healing and miracles encouraged us to trust Him when He is seemingly silent, and no immediate answer to our prayers is forthcoming.

What are we to do when it seems a ten foot thick concrete slab has been installed between ourselves and a loving, listening God? What are we to do with verses which promise we will not get out of this world without experiencing the same kind of experiences our Lord experienced?

Pt. 2

This same Jesus who said,

“If you ask anything in my name (according to my sovereign will) I will do it for you” (John 14:14) also said,

“In the world you will experience tribulation.” (John 16:33)

I think too many Christians “throw out the baby with the bathwater.” They are transfixed with promises about healing and miracles, but too easily neglect the promises and admonitions concerning suffering.

What are we to do with the implication of Colossians 1:24?

“Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Jesus Christ” 

And what of the martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11, and God’s apparent failure to protect them?

“They were hungry. They lived in caves. They were killed with the sword. They were sawn in two. They were eaten by lions.”

And like our dear spiritual relatives, we will also experience disillusionment and suffering.

I love the “Mercy Me” song, “Even If (You Don’t)”

 “I know you’re able and I know you can save through the fire with your mighty hand. But even if you don’t, my hope is You alone.”

The words of this song have given me great comfort, and the assurance of songs such as this, and countless scriptural passages have encouraged me over the course of the half century that I have walked with the Lord, and throughout the trials and turmoil I have encountered along the way.

Pt. 3

Speaking of the martyrs of the Church, God forbid that believers in western countries are ever called to lay down their lives for the Gospel. In recent years, dozens of believers in places like Iraq and Syria and Libya have been beheaded by members of that despicable radical Islamic gang referred to as “The Islamic State.” Our dear brothers have gone on to their reward without so much as the slightest word or complaint.

What are we to do with the implication of Romans 8:18?

“I believe and I am convinced that the suffering of this present life isn’t worthy to be compared to the glory which Christ will one day reveal in us.”

The martyrs of Hebrews Chapter 11 and the present day martyrs of the Church understood that this life is not all there is, and that their true, and real, and authentic, and eternal home was in heaven. They understood and embraced Paul’s words which are found in 2nd Corinthians, Chapter 5.

“For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 

As Christians we simply cannot take anything for granted, and in spite of the modern day emphasis on healing and miracles, there is such a thing as balance, and the ramification of Jesus’ words in the 22nd chapter of Luke.

"Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours be done."

He who spoke these words also admonished us that a servant is not better than his master. As He suffered, so too will we suffer; some more than others.

Afterward

While Christians promulgate and enjoy the blessings of healing and miracles, as believers we must also submit ourselves to seasons of disillusionment and difficulty.

We serve a good and gracious God who always has our welfare at heart. However, this life is simply not all there is, and as faithful believers “when it is all said and done” we are called to submit to the will of the One who loved us and gave Himself for us.
By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above



No comments:

Post a Comment