Sunday, March 17, 2019

SINS OF THE FATHERS




“Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generations.” Exodus 34:7



When people refer to this passage, they give it a label:



“The Sins of the Fathers.”



I have often wondered how and why the sins of a father would be replicated in their children. It just seems so unfair to me to hold the transgressions of a father against his offspring.



I laid down for a nap today and I had a dream, unlike any dream I have ever dreamed.



I found myself in a large room, perhaps a theater, and noticed a man in the corner screaming at his elementary-age son. What came out of his mouth were among the most demeaning words I have ever heard one person say to another.



“You are a loser. You have always been a d_ _ _ _ _ loser. You will always be a loser. You will never amount to anything. No one will ever want you. I don’t want you. You are a pitiful excuse for a son, and I am ashamed of you!”



Well, as you might imagine I could not stand still and listen to the man say such hurtful things to his own son.



Pt. 2



As my dream continued, I marched myself up to the man, and began to shout.



“I don’t know who you are, Mister, but how dare you speak to anyone that way, much less your own son! Do you realize what your words are going to do to that boy?”



Suddenly, as I found myself looking into the face of that awful, angry man his countenance began to change. He had metamorphosed before me. In the space of a few moments, I was no longer looking at a belligerent, foul-mouthed father, but rather, an innocent, fresh-faced little boy.



I was repelled by the change, but rather, not by the change, but the realization that I found myself screaming at a precious, young man who had done nothing to deserve the wrath I was inflicting upon him.



And then it occurred to me.



The wrathful, monster of a man had once been a boy, a boy who had endured the undeserved vengeance of a father, and having experienced the unmerited rage of his father grew up to become a carbon copy of the one who taught him to be all that he would ultimately become.



There is an old adage:



Hurt people hurt people.



And I think one possible interpretation or working out of the passage in which God promises to visit the iniquity of the fathers upon the children refers to role-modeling. Our Creator was all too sadly aware that children often grow up to emulate and repeat the behavior patterns of their parents.



Afterward



When we think of role modeling, we just naturally think of, and speak of positive role modeling. However, all too often role modeling is of the negative variety. And while many children reject such role modeling in their parents, and go on to adopt new and different patterns of behavior, too many are desperately influenced by the inconsistencies of their nuclear home, and go on to “teach” their children what they have been taught by their own parents.



As scripture admonishes us,



“These things ought not to be.”


Whether the tendency to demean, use vulgar language, drink, cheat or steal, such learned patterns of behavior must be broken. Unless we commit ourselves to “breaking cycles” we will never be all that God ever meant us to be, nor achieve those things He dreamed for us before He made the worlds.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment