Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION (on behalf of Leonard Bernstein)


Stockbridge, Mass.

Sept. 3, 1942



Dear Andre



I’m sure you remember Leonard Bernstein. He came with me to your house last Spring. He is in New York now looking about for some kind of musical work.



I’m writing to you with the thought that you may know of something for him. He would be enormously useful to the right spot. In twenty years, I have not met a young musician with more natural ability and real flair. His forte, as you know, is conducting. I hard heard Koussevitzky say the most enthusiastic things on that score. But he is also a whiz at the piano, including jazz style. He can arrange, compose, coach singers, lead choral groups, in fact anything in music is up his alley.



I’m certain you need no further convincing. You know I wouldn’t write this way about anyone if he wasn’t tops. The question is how to get him to connect. Of course, if you could use him that would be marvelous. But in any case, please keep him in mind. With things changing so rapidly around town, there ought to be an opening for such a gifted young fellow.



I’ll be back at the Empire day after Labor Day.



Warmest greetings to you,



Sincerely,



Aaron Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment