Saturday, March 30, 2019

WINSTON TASTES GOOD LIKE A CIGARETTE SHOULD


“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. You were bought with a price. Therefore, glorify God with your body.” (1st Cor. 6:19-20)



I ran across an old Winston Cigarette magazine ad on social media yesterday. The advertisement featured a smiling pregnant woman, and the following wording:



“People are always telling me that smoking causes low birth weight. Talk about a win-win-win! An easy labor, a slim baby, and the Full Flavor of Winston’s!”



(and)



“Smoke Winston’s when you’re smoking for two.”



Strangely enough, at the bottom of the ad I noticed one of those surgeon general’s warnings about cigarette smoke, and the danger it presents to unborn fetuses!



Another cigarette layout features a different pregnant model, and the caption,



“The smooth taste that expectant mothers crave!”



(Shame on the creators of these advertisements, and the cigarette companies that commissioned them! I believe God will call them to account for this abject lunancy)!



I remember that TV ad - "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should." I also remember my father getting up every morning for years gagging "his head off" in the bathroom before he began his day.



Though I have enormous lungs and don't sense any particular issue, a doctor has told me I have some congestion in my pulmonary system. I attribute it to my dad's second-hand smoke, as I have never had any use for the things. Two of my own brothers in law died as the result of smoking cigarettes.



Pt. 2



In an age when the use of cigarettes has been conclusively proven to cause lung cancer, and any number of other physical maladies, I will never for the life of me understand why anyone would settle for remaining stuck in this despicable habit.



Yes, I understand you may have been introduced to cigarettes as an adolescent, and that it is so ingrained now that you haven’t yet found a way to break free of the habit.



I also understand that smoking deposits dozens of carcinogens in the lungs of the individual who smokes pack after pack of these “cancer sticks.” I also understand that most adult smokers are fathers and mothers and have children.



I also understand that smoking is, ultimately, very likely to subtract years from the lives of these fathers and mothers. I also understand that family members are very likely to be exposed to second-hand smoke.



I also understand that a series of actions is necessary from the initial craving for a cigarette to the fulfillment of that craving. I also understand that there are any number of products available to assist a smoker in his or her intention of subtracting the cigarette habit from their daily lives.



I also understand that scripture admonishes us that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, that we are not our own, and that we are bought with a price.



Dear friend, for the sake of yourself, your children, your future, and literally all that’s holy, I urge you to do whatever it takes to place this habit on the proverbial altar, and quickly step away from it.

by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 90. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment