Friday, March 15, 2019

FIGURATIVE FINGERPRINTS


One of my friends owns a concrete construction company, and bought a load of bricks which had been harvested from an old street; prior to it being paved with asphalt. 


After Jeff arrived back at his shop and examined the bricks more closely, he noticed the unmistakable outlines of fingerprints on some of the clay surfaces. Whomever was responsible for making the bricks had left their personal monograms; which still remained decades after they had gone on to their reward.


The fingerprints of the maker


Interestingly enough, I had something very much like this happen yesterday. 


I am involved in a ministry which just purchased a two story house in which former female prison inmates will be afforded the opportunity to live for a year; during which time they will be exposed to a Christian foundation and practical skills, so that they can successfully navigate life “on the outside.”

As I began to make my way up the staircase, I grabbed the banister with my right hand. No sooner had I done so than Sherri, one of my fellow staff persons, admonished me.


“Bill, the banister has just been varnished!”


I had left a couple of faint handprints on the surface of the banister. And while I believe the contractor “went back over” my handiwork, the evidence of my having been here could remain long after I have passed from the earth.


I like that phrase. “The evidence of my having been here.”


Will we leave any tangible evidence of our having been here behind?


Pt. 2


Figurative fingerprints


I read a little adage the other day which spoke volumes to me.

“You are the only reason your ancestors were ever born.”


They have already come and gone. They have left all the figurative fingerprints on humanity they will ever leave. And at this stage, it might be said, I am the only reason they were ever born since they depend on me to make a difference in lives; ‘til I am also included in that long list of someone’s ancestors.


I have been blessed to participate in a myriad of ministries over the 50+ years since I “walked the sawdust trail.” Boys Group Leader, Children’s Pastor, Associate Pastor, Pastoral Counselor, Group Leader, Mentor, University Professor, Soloist, Lay Minister, Christian Writer. And I like to think I have left plenty of ‘fingerprints’ on the lives of those whom God has set in my pathway.

My personal mission statement is:

“My students are living messages to a time that I will never see.”

We have been granted the inestimable privilege of leaving our figurative fingerprints on humanity. As one of my former counseling interns prepared to leave my office one day, she uttered the most wonderful words anyone has ever said to me.

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you can no longer go. I’ll speak for you when you can no longer speak. I’ll reach, teach and keep people in your name long after you have gone on to  your reward.”

And that, my friend, is what it’s all about.

Afterward

So like those ancient fingerprints on the surface of the old red bricks, we are leaving figurative fingerprints, whether good or bad, positive or negative, on those with whom God has entrusted us.

It behooves us as believers to leave indelible impressions in lives, as long as God grants us the power, in the only two ways He has ever provided us to do so; our words and our actions.

Several men once approached one of Jesus’ disciples and made a request.

“Sir, we would like to see Jesus.”

Whether spoken or unspoken, obvious or implied, people are still making that same request. Jesus has long since departed these earthly premises, and has left His figurative fingerprints on the lives of believers. As the old saying goes, we are at this point the only “God with flesh on” people are capable of seeing, and we have been given the incalculable privilege of allowing them to see Jesus in us.

While we wait with great expectance for the return of our Lord, we need to go about leaving our fingerprints on the lives of those whom He loves, and for whom He died.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment