Saturday, January 12, 2019

WHEN THE REMEMBERER DIES


For I remember the sincere faith which resides in you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice…” (2nd Timothy 1:5)

I have so often reminded my interns and clients,

“Forget the messenger if you must. Just don’t forget the Message.”

And each and every time I say these words, I sincerely mean it. And yet… I think every human being who ever lived, and moved, and breathed on this earth has experienced a need for recognition, or at least appreciation.

One of my former interns once shared a spontaneous expression of recognition and appreciation with me which I will never forget, and which will always be a watershed moment in my life.

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you can no longer go. I’ll speak for you when you can no longer speak. I’ll reach, teach and keep people in your name long after you have gone on to your reward.”

And in spite of my persuasion that it’s okay to forget the messenger, I know that those whom God has set in my pathway, and whom He gave me to impact will never forget me.

However, yesterday the title for this particular thesis materialized “out of thin air,” and sat like a lead weight on my mind.

Ever since our first parents enjoyed the beauty of a garden somewhere in the Mideast, those who have been biologically or spiritually birthed by someone who has gone on before them…remember.

And yet, just as surely as the remembered have passed from this earth, so shall the rememberer follow in their providential footsteps.

For you see, when the rememberer dies, a new rememberer remembers the former rememberer; who then takes his turn as the remembered. And he or she who was previously remembered no longer has any wherewithal to be remembered.

Pt. 2

To be sure, we have not forgotten the renown poets, or religious leaders, or presidents, or dictators, or, for that matter, our ancient family members. I mean, they have left us their writing, and photos, films, audios and oral traditions.

But when the rememberer dies such stuff as this somehow fails to quench the proverbial thirst of the succeeding generations; since that flesh and blood person who could be touched, and seen and heard and…loved has long since submitted himself or herself to the inevitable.

When the rememberer dies.

I am grateful for my ancestors who “remembered” me before I was a twinkle, as I also remember those among my descendants who are still a theory, but who will one day live, and move and breathe and inhabit this planet. I like to think that some of my ancestors prayed for me, as I also pray for those who will follow me; both my biological and spiritual grandchildren and great grandchildren.

When the rememberer dies.

Ah, but The Rememberer, with a capital “R”, the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the King of kings and Lord of lords, the “I Am” of the ages will never die, and is incapable of forgetting.

And I find a great deal of solace in the foregoing realization, and I absolutely love the verse in the sixth chapter of Hebrews.

“God is not unjust. He will not forget your work and the love you have shown for His name, as you have ministered to the saints and continue to do so.”

Yes, my dear friend, forget the messenger if you must.

It is enough that God has not forgotten me, nor has He forgotten you.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright Pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment