Monday, January 28, 2019

FORGET THE MESSENGER. REMEMBER THE MESSAGE


I was scrolling through my social media page today, and ran across five of six photographs on one of my favorite sites.
“Bartow First Assembly Royal Ranger Outpost #54”
It would be helpful for my readers to understand that the Royal Ranger movement was originally envisioned and founded by a man named, Johnnie Barnes. It is very much like the Boy Scouts, but with a Christian emphasis. Since the advent of the Royal Ranger movement multiplied hundreds of thousands of little boys and young men have been influenced by this organization, it has spread beyond the Assemblies of God denomination, and is international in scope.
As you might imagine, the photographs (which I previously alluded to) depicted eight or ten elementary age boys, and a couple of Royal Ranger leaders, and were taken sometime in the last few weeks.
I have met one of the Royal Ranger commanders who currently leads Outpost #54. As a matter of fact, I first met this gentleman when he was approximately the same age as the boys which surround him in the pictures. For you see, he was once a member of the outpost which he now leads. I was one of his Royal Ranger commanders. They say, “What goes around comes around.” My little nephew is involved in this group.
It has been more than half a century since a man named John Westerman and I founded Royal Ranger Outpost #54. As you might imagine, I am inestimably pleased and proud that the outpost has continued to impact multiplied hundreds of boys, and their leaders over the course of five decades.
I had previously interacted with the senior commander of a Royal Ranger group which I co-founded in Virginia, Outpost #68, and he sent me several photos of the boys.
Pt. 2
I could not help but attach a photo of both Outpost #54 and Outpost #68 to my social media page.
And then it occurred to me. I would include an additional picture. This photograph depicts yours truly at the age of 18. I am standing in an above the ground pool. On my left and right are aged ministers, a Rev. Asbury and Rev. Skipper. They are preparing to baptize me. And just above this photo I add the caption:
“My baptism. It all started here in 1967.
It occurs to me that the photos of the Royal Rangers groups, below, might not have transpired without this personal life-changing event.”
I expect 99 percent of the boys and men who passed through Outpost #54 and Outpost #68 since they were founded never knew, or even cared who was responsible for their existence.
Under the circa 2018-2019 photos of the Royal Rangers and their leaders, I was careful to write something I share with those whom I mentor:
“It’s okay to forget the messenger. Just don’t forget the message.”
And honestly, this is the mindset I have about it. I am just gratified that these Royal Ranger outposts still exist, and that they are still impacting boys and men decades after they were dreamed into existence.
It occurs to me that all of the dear young boys who attended the two groups over the past fifty years are my spiritual children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I pray for them on a daily basis.
May God continue to bless Bartow Royal Ranger Outpost #54 and Dale City Royal Ranger Outpost #68. May they go right on raising up spiritual grandchildren who will, no doubt, make me very proud.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above





No comments:

Post a Comment