Monday, January 7, 2019

GETTING DOWN TO WADE'S LEVEL (On the Floor)


My wife and I have had two “most favorite of all time” pastors in our lives, including our current pastor, Bro. Kern.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law also “sat under” these two pastors, and loved them dearly. Speaking of the former of the two men who served Bartow Church of God, and whom we loved and respect, during the eighth decade of the 20th century a man named Paul Shoemaker was pastor.

My wife’s sister told me the following story about Paul’s first few days on the job.

It so happened that when Rev. Shoemaker made his debut in our church, one of the pillars of our congregation, Bro. Glover, provided him what might be described as a “guided tour” of the homes of various parishioners.

One home they chose to visit was that of Clarence and Sue, my in-laws. It is important to note that these precious people are the parents of a dear young man named, “Wade” who was born with Spina Bifida. (I use the present tense phrase “are the parents” since though he has left his earthly home, Wade is still alive and well in the home of His Savior).

At the time Wade was eight or nine, and was at that moment lying on the floor. (He had been wheelchair bound his entire life, and seemed to enjoy lying flat on the floor). Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Peeking out the window Sue recognized Bro. Glover, and presumed the man who stood next to him was the new pastor.

My sister-in-law was, perhaps, slightly embarrassed for the good minister to see Wade lying on the tile floor, but she hurried to open the door, greeted the two men, and welcomed them into the house.

Pt. 2

I can only presume that Mr. Glover had previously told Bro. Shoemaker about Wade’s medical condition, as it would be common to ‘brief’ new pastors about such things before they are introduced to their parishioners.

As the two men walked into the door, and after the exchange of names, Sue introduced Wade to Rev. Shoemaker. Suddenly, an amazing thing occurred. The sixty year old pastor dropped to his knees, and then lay prostrate on the floor; so that he was looking Wade directly in the eyes.

The former of the two spoke.

“Hey Wade! I’ve heard about you. It’s so good to meet you.”

You would have to know Wade. He had a smile as big as all outdoors. And he seemed to wear that smile 99.9 percent of the time. Today was no exception.

“Hello pastor. Nice to meet you too.”

There’s a song I absolutely love and which Billy Joel sings, “And So It Goes.” Well, and so it went. Paul and Wade, two human beings separated by half a century, lay there looking at one another, and getting along famously.

For a few minutes, it was as if the adults in the room didn’t exist. Bro. Shoemaker didn’t have to work at it, or “put on airs.” In retrospect, it might be said that Pastor Shoemaker loved Wade, and Wade loved him. (As his uncle, I’m biased, but I think everyone loved Wade).

As Sue completed her story, I marveled at the natural, “don’t have to work hard at it” humbleness that permeated every aspect of this wonderful man.

Among the thousands of believers I have met during the course of my seven decades on this planet, Rev. Shoemaker is among two or three of the humblest, and ironically greatest human beings I have ever known.

Afterward

I served as an adjunct professor at my alma mater, Southeastern University, for several years.

By the time I walked on the campus again, after having been gone almost four decades, a beautiful water fountain and statue had been erected in the center of the campus green.

I walked past that statue on a daily basis, as I made my way to the building in which I taught. It is a bronze rendering of Jesus in the process of washing the Apostle Peter’s feet. Our Lord got down to his friend’s level that day. He got down to humanity’s level that day.



Our dear friend and pastor, Bro. Paul, faithfully emulated his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ when he lay prostrate on the floor, and got down to Wade’s level. I will never walk past that statue without thinking of this dear man.
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright Pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment