Friday, January 18, 2019

AMMA - A Biography of Amy Camichael


While I had a couple of spiritual fathers, I never had any living mentors. (No doubt, this is the major reason I value my role as a mentor). Amy Carmichael is among several dead mentors whom I claim, as they have influenced me by what others have written about them, and what they, themselves had to say about their Savior.

Amy “put arms and legs” to her work when she rescued numerous female child orphans who had been consigned to prostitution in the heathen Hindu temples in India. She identified with the people by wearing the traditional clothing and rubbing coffee grounds into her skin.

Years before her death, Amy Carmichael was injured in a fall, but continued to administer the orphanage from her sickbed. She spent over fifty years in India, and never returned to England.

While Amy's work among orphans in India continues to this day, it has been said that she asked that no headstone mark her grave. Her fellow workers and the orphan children marked her final resting place with a simple bird bath inscribed with only one word, "Amma," the Indian word for Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment