Sunday, January 6, 2019

ELVIS' BITTER TEARS


I am always “in the market” for Elvis stories, but I never expected to hear a sermon which included a story about “the King of Rock n’ Roll.” However, this is exactly where I heard the latest story about Elvis.

Yesterday, our pastor used as his text a scripture which speaks to the certainly of death and judgment, and among several stories he told Pastor Kern referred to an evangelist who spoke to the adult Elvis in the church he attended as a child.

Apparently, Elvis happened to be in the area, and decided to “take in” an evangelistic service at the little Assembly of God church in Tupelo, Mississippi. And there he found himself deeply touched by the message of the visiting minister. After the service was over, and most everyone had departed the premises, “Rev. Simmons” took Elvis aside, and spoke to him in private, and said something like,

“Elvis, I know you attended church here a long time ago, and I know that you were exposed to the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am also aware that you heard many sermons, and spiritual songs, and were deeply impacted by what you saw and heard.”

(and)

“Elvis, you don’t know me, and I don’t know you personally, (though everyone on earth knows your name, face and music). You are in a position to impact millions of people. Allow me to ask you a question. How it is with your soul, my friend?”

With this, Elvis hung his head, and admitted that though he still enjoyed singing religious music that he had strayed from his childhood experience with God.

The evangelist spoke again.

“Elvis, I think it’s kinda like a gal who has drifted to the far side of the bench seat of one of those old cars. By now she’s right up against the passenger window. But her fella is still sitting in the same old place behind the steering wheel. God hasn’t moved Elvis.

(and)

“My brother, it’s time to make it right. It’s time to come back to the One who has promised to never leave you, nor forsake you. All it will take is a few simple words. You know what you need to do, and you know how to do it.”

By now, hot tears were running down Elvis’ cheeks, and he was not able to contain the audible sobs which rose from his throat. Finally, he managed to respond.

“Preacher, I just can’t. There are people depending on me. I’m sorry. I just can’t!”

Shaking his head Elvis turned, and walked towards the back of the sanctuary, and out the front door of the church.

Someone claimed they met the greatest vocalist of all time coming down the sidewalk, as he prepared to step into the backseat of his limo. This fellow reported that Elvis’ eyes were awash with tears, and that he heard him say to no one in particular, “I just can’t. I just can’t.”

We can only hope that Elvis “can’t” was turned to “can” before he stepped from this life to the next.
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to share, save or copy this blog, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment