Thursday, January 17, 2019

AMAZING GRACE - An Amazing Song


“Amazing Grace” is, with little or no contradiction, the most amazing song which has ever been consigned to paper.

Our congregation sings the hymn on a recurring basis. Why, as soon as I hear the song leader say, “Let’s turn to page 186 in the green hymnal,” I stand to my feet, as does virtually every man, woman and child in the sanctuary. Strange, no other Christian song elicits the immediate, almost subliminal response of standing to one’s feet; as if the song, itself, is worthy of honor.

And it occurs to me that the closest illusion I have to compare to it is when I counseled a young Hindu woman from India. Each time “Damini” walked into my office, and I stood to greet her, she would bend at the waist, and respectfully touch my feet. I think my compulsion to stand during the singing of, “Amazing Grace” is very much the same thing.

I have often reflected that John Newton, the writer of this hymn, would be almost “bowled over” to discover that his song is the best-known song of any kind, secular or religious,… in the history of the world. It has been sung in multiplied dozens of languages, and men and women, boys and girls of every religion, or the lack thereof, recognize it after just a few notes fill the air.

I sang, “Amazing Grace” as a solo at both my father’s and mother’s memorial services, and counted it a privilege to do so.

And if “Amazing Grace” is the best-known song which has ever been penned, the first verse of the song is the best-known stanza of any song which has ever been set to paper.

“Amazing Grace. How sweet the sound

that saved a wretch like me!

I once was lost, but now I’m found,

was blind but now I see!”


by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright Pending

If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment