Friday, January 25, 2019

A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH


My wife and I could have easily been killed, (or killed someone) last night… three times, and all in the space of ten minutes. (I kid you not).

My wife was behind the wheel, and we were heading to the midweek service at our church. We had driven about half a mile down Spirit Lake Road, and suddenly a car came sailing across the road about thirty feet ahead of us, and drove into a vacant field to our right. (I have no idea what he was thinking). As we passed the now stationary vehicle, it’s lights were still on. Of course, my wife and I commented about what a strange occurrence it had been.

After another half mile, we reached the intersection of a state road, took a right turn, and drove another half mile. Suddenly, an almost invisible bicycle crossed the four lane road, perhaps fifty feet ahead of our vehicle, and I told my wife to slow down. The bicycle was totally devoid of lights, and I commented that the rider was “achin’ for a breakin.’”

Having driven another half a mile, we barely missed the back bumper of a car which had stopped at a stop sign, had driven across two of the four lanes of traffic, and was parked diagonally in the median waiting to turn into an opposing lane of traffic. The hapless driver had left a couple of feet of his rear bumper in the road behind him. We saw the guy seconds before our vehicle would have plowed into him, and Jean just managed to swerve around his car.

I love the verse in the Old Testament which assures believers that,

“Your times are in His hands.” (Psalm 31:15)

And an equally reassuring verse can be found in Psalm 139.

“Before I ever took my first breath, you planned every day of my life.”

No matter what we encounter along life’s pathway, the great “I AM,” the God of the past, present and future, has already been there before us. What a bless-ed realization.

I don’t think we can ask, or expect anything much better than that.
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright Pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment