Thursday, December 29, 2016

WILL THE REAL VON TRAPP FAMILY PLEASE STAND UP. Pt. 2



“At midday, the seven of us who’d been in the film were invited to join the vice-governor of Salzburg for lunch in the hotel’s restaurant. As we were led to our table, we passed by the von Trapp (now aged) children sitting at their own. Once again, we all glanced at each other, but no words were spoken.

Finally, Maria von Trapp, the younger Maria, now 84, strode across the room to our table. I looked into her eyes, afraid and hopeful at the same time, as she reached out her hand to me, saying, ‘I felt I should come meet you at last.’

I jumped from my seat. ‘I’m so glad you did!’ I gestured towards my film siblings. ‘We’ve all been so nervous.’ 

 
‘We have too.’ She grinned. Suddenly her arms were encircling me, and my arms instantly went around her. The embrace overwhelmed me. 

‘You are beautiful,’ she said to me, smiling. ‘It means so much for me to meet you.’

‘And I you,’ I whispered.

One by one her brothers and sisters joined us. The awkwardness was past, and now we were huddling close together, talking and laughing, reveling in the connection between us, as if at a family reunion-which in a very true sense, is exactly what it was.

I hadn’t expected the sensation. I hadn’t expected to feel I was coming home. For the first time, I realized how much I owed this lovely woman and her family.

‘This is incredible,’ Maria said, reaching out to hug me again. As I held on to her, I could not help wondering about the forces that had brought us together. We were strangers, born thousands of miles apart, separated by generations and events, yet we were bound to each other, like relatives long lost. I tightened my embrace and thought back on how it all began.”

(to be continued) 


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 48. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 

************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin











No comments:

Post a Comment