Tuesday, December 13, 2016

SELF-WORTH

(from a social media video. Imagine a man wearing a cowboy hat and seated in a pickup truck is using a $20 bill for 'show & tell' and begins to talk to you)

There’s a lot of you out there dealing with issues of self-worth. You don’t feel very good about yourself simply because of the things you’ve done, the things you’ve been through and the things which have been done to you.

Well, what if I offered you this $20 dollar bill. Would you take it? Chances are you would, but before I give it to you, I gotta offer a warning. Because while this $20 dollar bill could be used for a lotta good, chances are it’s done a lotta bad. If this $20 bill had a mind and could think, chances are it would have a bad conscience. 

Maybe it’s been used to do drugs. Maybe it’s been used to buy drugs. Maybe a drug deal went bad, and somebody died over this. If fact, maybe it was used to fund a terrorist organization. Perhaps it’s been used for impure things like the purchase of a prostitute. Any number of things could have been done with this $20 dollar bill, but do you still want it? Of course you do because no matter what’s been done to it, or with it… it’s still worth $20. 

Maybe I can take it and tear it, and rip it, and put marks on it and that are simply unfair and unsightly, but do you still want it? Of course you do. Because an authority higher than us gave it it’s value, and nothing can take it away. It’s the same with you. No matter what you’ve been through, no matter what you’ve done, you still have worth. It’s built into you, and you need to remember that. 

There’s things that I wish I could go back in time and re-do, un-do or never do at all, but I can’t. And even though I’m reminded every day by many folks and even by my own conscience and heart that I did ‘em, I still need to remind myself that someone with greater authority than me and even bigger than my own actions gave me a self-worth.

I’m gonna live by that, and choose to remind myself of that every day, and hope you’ll do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment