Friday, December 30, 2016

RED & YELLOW. BLACK & WHITE. Pt. 1

After high school I attended a small parochial college, and a full four decades later I was privileged to join the faculty of the same school; which had, by now, metamorphosed into a university with a student body that had grown by a factor of 10, and a faculty which had grown at a proportionately higher rate.

As part and parcel of one chapter in our textbook, I was called upon to teach a segment on “The American Melting Pot.” The implication of the chapter was that ‘the good ole USA’ is, among the nations of the world, the most diverse country on the face of the earth. Every race, nationality, religion and creed exists here. As The Great Seal of the United States and our coinage attest, “E Pluribus Unum.” Out of Many. One.


Since my tenure as an adjunct professor at my alma mater something has come to light which has offered me a whole new perspective on that “Out of Many, One” adage; so familiar to anyone who has ever pulled a penny from their pocket.


While I had always been very much aware of my European heritage, as the bulk of white Americans hail from such ancestral lands as England, Ireland, Scotland, France and Germany, since my mother and I received the results of our recent DNA tests a wealth of unexpected information has come to light.


It seems that in addition to each and every nation I alluded to in the previous paragraph, my ancestral lineage includes a small representation of (drum roll) Spanish, Arab, Jewish and Sub-Saharan (Negro) bloodlines. 


(to be continued) 


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 48. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 

************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment