Friday, December 30, 2016

RED & YELLOW. BLACK & WHITE. Pt. 3


I was just watching the closing 1985 segment of Richard Dawson’s final appearance on the game show, “Family Feud.” 

He has set aside five minutes to speak to the audience and the viewers at home. Richard proceeds to thank his producers and directors and the staff who operate so diligently behind the scenes. He makes a reference to some who have felt it was a bit tacky for him to have done all that kissing of the female contestants over the years. I admit, I was one of them. (The opinionator, not the contestant). 


As he closes, our very British game show host says something that ‘rings a bell’ with me.


“We have tried to throw open this program to all kinds of people. When I came on board I was determined that anyone who could play the game was welcome on this show. Your common, everyday folks. Those in wheelchairs and the blind. People of all colors and creeds. 


And I think of something my mother once told me back in the 40’s. England was mobilizing for war, and as a little fellow I recall seeing men and women of different colors going off to the front. It hadn’t occurred to me ‘til then that my country was so diverse.
And when I mused about this to my mother, she said, 


‘Well now Richard, have you ever seen a rainbow?’ 


To which I responded, 


‘Yes, of course, mum.’ 


And my mother continued, 


‘And isn’t it made up of the most lovely colors imaginable?’ 


To which I again responded with an affirmative. 


And I will never forget her closing shot. 


‘Well, I’d never presume to tell the One who made the rainbow what color to make little children.’”


And our very British game show host closed with,


“What she said to me that day changed my whole life.”


Needless to say, the results of my DNA test, (and Mr. Dawson’s poignant reminder) put a whole new spin on E Pluribus Unum. Out of Many, 

… One.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 48. Copyright pending


If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 


************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment