Thursday, December 8, 2016

D IF YOU DO AND D IF YOU DON'T. Pt 2

(See Pt. 1)

After I opened the envelope, and studied my newest bit of calligraphy, I mounted it alongside the dozens of other historic autographs which I had collected over the past couple of decades.

Afterwards, I taped an article about the three men on the adjoining page. The contents of that article struck me as something just short of bizarre. (‘Just short of’ since I have long since learned that where there’s money to be made, ethical or otherwise, people are going to make it). 

Somehow what I read there seemed to besmirch the reputations of these men whose military exploits I’d studied in high school.

For you see, the ‘Atomic Trio’ had ‘taken it on the road’ and with the assistance of an agent began capitalizing on their first of a kind military mission of so long ago. Tibbits had developed an expansive package of momentos including Enola Gay coffee mugs ($6), T-shirts ($9), Photographs ($9) a copy of the order authorizing the use of the atomic bomb ($5), not to mention an autographed color lithograph of the Enola Gay with Hiroshima’s mushroom cloud looming in the background for the economical price of $24.95. 

While he was roundly criticized by some for his ‘stock in trade,’ 

General Tibbits had a different take on his one of a kind business enterprise.


“It’s never dawned on me that I’m trying to capitalize on anyone’s death.”

I, for one, can only ask the rhetorical question,

“Really?”

(and a follow up),

“Ya think?”

(to be continued)


  By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 46. Copyright pending
 
 If you wish to copy, share or save this blog, please include the credit line, above
*************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment