Friday, December 23, 2016

THE BOY & HIS DOG. PT. 1



I dated my wife, Jean, immediately after our graduation from high school, and knew her sister, Sue Long, and Sue’s husband, Clarence, and their daughter, Tina. I recall little Wade as a toddler, and after Jean and I met again, Wade and I renewed our acquaintance. Wade was in high school at the time. My nephew sustained the worst symptoms of a condition known as Spina Bifida, and was a paraplegic; not having any feeling or function in his legs, and was confined to a wheelchair throughout his entire life.


It is important to understand that among anyone and everyone I’ve ever known who suffered with an almost unbearable medical condition, Wade seemed to tolerate it in the most extraordinary manner. 

Did I mention that this wonderful young man endured literally dozens of surgeries in and about the brain and spinal cord?

(Well, he did).


Simply put,     
                                                                  

…He was Joyful. With a capital “J.” 


I never, I mean NEVER saw Wade without a smile on his face. That grin would light up a room. Those shining, white “32’s” could almost literally light up the entire universe. Had you asked him, he would have attributed his contagious personality and attitude to the presence of His Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, in his young life.

Wade endured countless surgeries during the brief 19 years which were allotted to him. Though he grew weary, he never seemed to complain.


The dear boy was the consummate singer. A soloist. While he never appeared on “The Voice,” what he lacked in vocal talent was more than made up for by the fervency and volume of his music. He sang about the Jordan River; until anyone who ever heard him might immediately think of Wade when that body of water was alluded to.


I came across an old audio tape a couple of years ago, and snapped it into the player. From across the years, Wade seemed to delight in one more opportunity to light up a room with his voice. 


He prefaced his solo with, 


“Uncle Royce, we’re gonna meet Jesus one day. There will be no more tears. And it will be fine!"

(to be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 47. Copyright pending


If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 
************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment