Friday, December 16, 2016

FALLING INTO A MANHOLE. PT. 1




I began a previous blog in the following manner, and it seems good to do it again.


I peddle


I peddle a lot


Over the past 4 ½ years I have pedaled (count ‘em) 12,170 miles; (almost half the circumference of the earth).


My late mother said I shouldn’t go out at ‘0 Dark Thirty’ 5-6 mornings a week. (Only you military guys and gals will recognize the preceding terminology. For you civilians ‘in the wee hours’ would be a more recognizable term for the time element to which I refer).


At any rate, I have pedaled the highways and byways of the county in which I live, and I can tell you, (like that insurance commercial mantra), I’ve ‘seen it all.’


This morning as I was peddling down a nearby sidewalk, (for I only use sidewalks) I saw the light of a bicycle approaching me… in the middle of the roadway and facing traffic. Not only was he (or she) peddling against traffic, but he (or she) was smack dab on the center line of the road; upon which traffic does what traffic does.


And as the man (or woman) sped past me, I shouted,


“Hey! You better get out of the road or somebody’s gonna run over you!”


Without so much as a word, or sign he (or she) continued to pedal down the center line and against traffic.


And knowing human behavior as I do, since as a counselor I have ‘sat with’ literally thousands of men and women, boys and girls over the past two and a half decades, I can only imagine this ‘character’ has pedaled in the middle of the road and against traffic numerous times in the past. 


Not the safest, mature or functional thing to do

(to be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 47. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 

************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment