Saturday, December 17, 2016

GOD'S AUTOGRAPH. PT. 1

I collect autographs

Over the past three or four decades I have procured twenty or thirty famous and near famous autographs; especially from military and political leaders. I have a knack for discovering their mailing addresses; at which point I enclose a dollar, (the surface of choice), a SSARE, (stamped self-addressed return envelope), and forward the request for an autograph to the person of interest.

Among others, I have the cursive monograms of people such as Neil Armstrong, Sen. Ted Kennedy, Mrs. Douglas MacArthur, Gen. Jimmy Doolittle, Gen. Paul Tibbets, Hillary Clinton, and one of my latest, the recently departed Sen. John Glenn. 

And it occurred to me today that each and every famous individual who ever responded to my request for an autograph… thought of me; if only for a few brief moments. 

I mean, he or she would have opened my envelope, read my letter, viewed my signature, signed their name, tucked the monogramed dollar bill into the SSARE, (stamped self-addressed return envelope), and dropped my cursive trophy into the nearest mailbox.

To be fair, a personal assistant may have accomplished the bulk of the foregoing actions, but at the very least, the ‘individual of note’ would have put pen to paper and briefly considered the ‘unknown whom’ to whom they were addressing their personalized response. 

I mean, think of it. All those ‘Big Fishes in a Big Pond’ humbling themselves to sign and send their personal autographs to such a ‘Little Fish in a Little Pond.’

(to be continued)


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 47. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 
************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment