Friday, December 30, 2016

RED & YELLOW. BLACK & WHITE. Pt. 2


To say I was surprised, (and pleasantly so) would be an gross understatement. For you see, as a student of not only genealogy, but history, I found myself reflecting not only on my geographical origins, and the myriad of people groups from which I sprang, but the assorted histories of the lands from which my ancestors hailed.
Any number of historical circumstances and consequences immediately spring to mind.


The Fall of Jerusalem and the Diaspora. The Roman Conquest of England and surrounding territories. The Crusades. William the Conqueror. The Magna Carta. The Slave Trade and the subjugation and forced exportation of millions of hapless native peoples. The Potato Famine. The IRA and their decades old rebellion against the British. The 3rd Reich and the wholesale slaughter of the Jewish people.


They are me


I am them


I am the living, breathing, moving incarnation of multiplied billions of my multi-ethnic grandparents. I am the exquisite combination of each and every one of these who preceded me, the receiver of their legacies, and heir of their hopes and dreams. He in whom they have invested their expectations for the future, and the entity by which they have any further potential to ‘leave something behind.’


(to be continued) 

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 48. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include the credit line, above 
************
 If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment