Monday, November 9, 2015

Mediocre People


    The role of support group administrator for a local addictions group can be extremely frustrating, and at times unfulfilling and disappointing.

    I’m involved with seven other extraordinarily dedicated and talented leaders. Each of them “have a history,” though I myself, have never been acquainted experientially, with that lifestyle. I’ve never, in my entire life had friends like these, and if nothing else, I’ve taken That Blessing away from this ministry. I expect these wonderful people “will be with me” my entire life.

    But, to revisit the initial paragraph. My leaders have tried to encourage me of late, because this role can be more disappointing, than fulfilling.
 
     We started off well; very well. We witnessed extraordinary numbers and results. We noticed wonderful changes in our members. Sobriety seemed to be the order of the day. New members racked up multiple "clean days." The teaching was terrific. Motivation was meteoric.

     But all that progress, and all those percentages began to wane, and like petals on an old rose began to take on a slightly wilted and less than healthy look.

    Though I’m never discouraged, my disappointment has been great; not for myself, but for the precious souls who could adopt better ways of living, but somehow refuse to do so. But One Special Sister, a fellow leader, intervened today, and reminded me of a certain scripture. It seemed so relevant.

“But my work for them seems all in vain. I have spent my strength for them without response. Yet I will leave it all with God for my reward.” (Isaiah 49:4, KJV)

     Someone once prophesied that I would administer an addictions program. That word of knowledge came over thirty years ago, and perhaps that makes seeming failure more difficult, and unacceptable to me.
 
     And then again, since I've seen such wonderful success with the counseling ministry, it's too easy to compare with the addiction's ministry, as I just naturally expect similar results.

      But I REFUSE to be discouraged, and I PRESS ON. I am glad that I can be extraordinarily candid with my leaders, and that they allow me to verbalize my disappointments. And sometimes their optimism puts me to shame.

     There is another verse in Isaiah Chapter Four: “You are my servant, a prince of power with God, and you shall bring Me glory.” (KJV) I think every servant of the Most High can claim that verse as their own.
 
     We cannot know the end from the beginning. We cannot know the eventual impact of our words. We cannot follow people throughout the course of their lives, and know the eventual reward of this present work. I'm convinced that there will be many wonderful revelations in heaven.

     And we do what we can. We do the best we can. God will not judge me for having shared truth because that is MY TASK; my only task. Having done that, the hearer must incorporate or reject, believe or disbelieve, ignore or embrace…

     Somehow I feel better when my friend points me back to scripture, and reminds me of a promise like this one… “and you shall bring Me glory.” I am not responsible for another’s choices; no more than someone as great as Moses was responsible for Pharaoh’s choices.

     We are simply messengers, and that must be enough.

 By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005
**Under penalty of law, do not share, copy or "save" this blog without including the credit line, above.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment