Sunday, November 29, 2015

Joy in a Jail Cell

“And it is only right for me to remember you with such rejoicing because you reside in my heart. For you remembered me when I walked among you and when I resided in the darkness of this prison”                                           
(Philippians 1:7, MPV)


     The Book of Philippians is one of my two favorite books of scripture. It is such a poignant rendering of a man’s very soul. I personally regard Philippians as the most personable of all the books in either Old or New Testaments.


     As I paraphrased the entire book of Philippians, I found myself weeping and identifying with the Apostle at a more intense level than ever before. I see him seated in darkness, chained to a Roman guard. Perhaps Timothy sits across from him, as the aging man dictates his words. No doubt rodents scurry across the dirt floor, and the air is foul with sweat, and other unmistakable odors.


     I have always liked Paul and his wonderful epistles. Since he “introduced himself” I have loved the man and his writings. I sadly reflect on his extreme


Sufferings. Stoned, beaten, hungry, shipwrecked.


     His humble, but strong spirit rings across the ages:


“I do not imply that I have arrived. I am still learning, changing


and maturing. But I reflect on the day when I will finally reach


the prize, the goal, the finish line.” (Philippians 3, MPV)


     If we could only catch a slight glimmer of his rich spirit. If we could only pause for a moment in his prison cell. If we could touch his weary brow, and in doing so, encourage him.


     My love and understanding of the Apostle Paul is increased. He has become my hero.


     Such a rich and selfless life was his.
 
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "Unconventional Devotions" Copyright 2005
 
If you wish to copy, share or "save" please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment