Saturday, November 28, 2015

Heritage, Destiny, Legacy

(Following is a blog I recently wrote. As I have not been able to contact the party involved, I have changed all identifying data here)

Today was the last Sunday morning worship service in which my former intern would be with us; prior to assuming her first fulltime ministry position.

"Bridgette," had previously finished her undergrad degree in religious studies at Fullmeyer University, and completed her graduate degree at the same institution in the past several months. And in the last several days, this young lady has been contracted to serve as a field representative in a well-known, international ministry.

It so happened that Bridgette and I were scheduled to participant in this morning’s worship service; I as a vocal soloist, and she as a solo pianist. And it so happened, (considering this is the last Sunday before Thanksgiving) that each of us had independently chosen, _____________ as our musical selection.

As I recall, Bridgette played, (and played quite well) during the offertory, and I “took the stage” just before the pastor was scheduled to speak.

As yours truly stepped behind the pulpit, as I sometimes do I prefixed my song with a few topical words.

“Well, we’re going to miss Bridgette. This young lady first came to me several years ago, prior to attending university, and submitted herself to a year-long program of mentoring and discipleship. And sometime along the way, I shared my favorite three words with her.

Heritage

Destiny

Legacy

We receive a Heritage.

We fulfill a Destiny.

We leave a Legacy.

And the Legacy we leave behind becomes someone else’s Heritage, and so the circle continues.”

(And then I looked directly at Bridgette, and said)

“Bridgette, you’re staring into a sunrise. Most of us here today are staring into a sunset. I wish I could be here to see all the wonderful things you will accomplish throughout the course of your lifetime.”

(And though I didn’t say it at that moment, one of my favorite phrases, and my own somewhat abbreviated mission statement is:

“I will busy myself with planting seedlings under whose shade I may never sit.”)

Funny, the pastor never did get around to preaching a sermon today. After I finished my song, and while I was still standing behind the pulpit, he asked me to sing the chorus again, and having done so, “Bro. Brown” dispensed with his prepared notes, and called the ushers forward to pass out the communion elements.

And somewhat to my surprise and slight consternation, (since by this time my throat was dry and a bit hoarse) when the sacrament was completed, our minister asked me to repeat my musical number.

Upon which, Bridgette's mother, Jennifer, was asked to close in prayer.

Well, I could not let my former intern begin her ministry; without sending her off with this or that word of admonition. And thus, I walked over to Bridgette, and said whatever one says when a dear understudy and friend is preparing to assume their role in life.

And having done so, I stretched out my hand and laid it on her head, and spoke the following words:

“Bridgette, go out and fulfill your Destiny!”

(and)

“This is the charge I give you.”

And as I prepare to conclude this particular reminiscence, a story from the The Gospel of Luke comes to me.

The twelve year old Jesus had somehow slipped away from Mary and Joseph during the Feast of the Passover, and it was only after his parents had traveled a while that they realized he was not with their party. Returning to Jerusalem they found the spiritually precocious adolescent teaching, as it were, the temple religious leaders. When admonished by Mary for causing her, and Joseph a great deal of anxiety, Jesus replied,

“Know you know that I must be about my Father’s business?”

How marvelous, how inestimably exciting to witness another in a long line of young people, stretching across two millenia, emulating their first and best role model.

I believe, no, I am sure that my young intern will be heard from, and will be found doing the Father’s business.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 16. Copyright pending.


*If you wish to share, copy or "save" this blog, please include the credit line, above
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment