Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Trying to Put Spilled Milk Back in the Bottle


The following letter was written as a response to earlier letters by a relative of mine, and apparently as a rebuff to a father who was attempting to reconcile with his estranged son. It just seems to be such a sad interchange, which at this writing, occurred a full 65 years ago, and just after I made my own entrance into the world.

May 8, 1951

Dear Sir:

I received your letters which were written to me. Needless to say, I was indeed surprised to hear from you after all these years.

The reason I have not answered sooner is because I wanted to think the matter through before answering.

I am glad to hear that you and your wife are Christians. I would to God that all men everywhere were. My mother and I are living a Christian life.

My Mother and Step-Father have been exceptionally good to me. My Step-Father has always treated me as a son and we have a happy home.

You wanted to know if I had an inferiority complex, and if I had an education. The answer to the first question is no, and the latter yes. I graduated from High School in 1945.

As to our meeting, I think it is not wise to do so. In fact it is better if we do not even correspond any more. I have given this quite some thought and prayer, and have reached this conclusion. If you would give this careful consideration and be truthful to yourself; you would also reach the same verdict. You have a family to love and care for and we have a very happy home ourself.

I trust that you will come to the realization that your duty now is to raise your family in the fear and admonition of the Lord.

Two wrongs will not make a right, so please remember it is best that we not meet.

Sincerely,


Name Withheld

(I can only imagine how this young man's father reacted to the news that his attempt at reconciliation had been permanently rebuffed. Perhaps there’s just no putting spilled milk back in the bottle).


Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 16. Copyright pending.


*Please do not copy, share, or "save" without including the credit line, above.





 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment