Monday, November 23, 2015

Married to the Lord of the Universe


I was watching a curious video on social media last night.

The film footage depicts a young man and young woman in a mountain environment; evidently part and parcel of a plan devised by the twenty-some year old fella.

Suddenly, “Bob” drops to one knee and proceeds to “do the deed.”

“Helen, you’re the most wonderful, intelligent, attractive lady I’ve ever met. And we have so much in common,

… will you marry me?”

And the conversation continues pretty much as follows,

“Oh my. I have longed for this day, Bob.

…Absolutely. I will marry you.”

“Helen, I promise I will make you happy, and treat you like a queen.”

And then their interaction takes a decidedly aberrant turn.

“I simply can’t wait, Bob.” (and in a quieter, quicker matter of fact tone, Helen adds,) “Of course, you will need to share me with a couple of the other great guys I know on weekends.”

Bob might have mused, “Did I hear what I think I just heard?” The young man’s elation metamorphoses into abject confusion.

“What did you just say, Helen?”

“Uh, well now, Bob, why don’t we just forget what I said. I was just thinking out loud.”

(And then the conversation turned again).

… But I can tell you that it’s the new millennium. This isn’t the 19th century. What an archaic thought to be faithful to one man.”

Bob had heard all he needed to hear, and began to walk away.

“Helen! I cannot believe what I’m hearing! I can’t do this. The wedding is off. I’m outta here!”

With this, the three minute video segment fades to black, and we behold a real-life minister standing on a low stage.

“My friends, how many men or women would put up with that? Would one in a thousand smile and say, ‘I think you’re onto to something there. An open marriage is just the thing. I’m game. I’ll try anything once.’”

There’s a little-read book in the Old Testament, (It’s me speaking again) different than any of the additional 65 books of scripture which surround it. The title of that small book is “Hosea.” In the Book of Hosea we read about a man named, well, Hosea, and God’s command that he marry, well, there’s no good way to say it,

… a whore.

Granted, this is a curious expectation on the part of God or the guy next door, but that’s what the Creator told him to do.

A singular moment in biblical history, and not one to be emulated. But rather, a word picture and lesson to the people of Israel. A statement to God’s people from the Lord of the universe, Himself. For you see, Gomer, (a rather unfortunate name for a woman or a man) played the harlot, and we witness Hosea in hot pursuit; in an attempt to woo her back.

And now we return to the preacher and his pulpit.

“My friends, what you have witnessed in this short video segment is sad; just plain sad. But sadder still when the people of God live this way. And, do not be mistaken. Some live this way.”

Now the minister has captured the full and complete attention of his congregation. You could have heard a pin drop.

“Yes, my friends, some Christians take their faith, and the blood of Jesus Christ for granted, and ‘go a whoring’ after the things of this world. They are fair weather followers of the King of kings and Lord of lords. Their loyalty to the God who saved them is divided, and their commitment to their spiritual marriage to the Lord of the universe is questionable, at best.”

I can tell you this was one of the most poignant, “bring ya back to reality” sorta word pictures to which I have ever been exposed.

As scripture admonishes us,

“These things ought not to be.”

None of us are perfect, and none of us are "there yet." But it behooves us, as the people of God, to recoup and regroup, and to incorporate the lessons of this video and that obscure little book of scripture into our daily lives.

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 16

*If you wish to share, copy or "save" this blog, please include the credit line, above

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment