Friday, November 6, 2015

BETH


Curiously enough, I think about Beth on a recurring basis; though it’s been nearly half a century since her passing.

This dear little lady was a year behind me in school, and was taken from us at the tender age of 17; the result of a single-car accident.

Beth was a member of my high school choral group, and though I don’t recall ever speaking to her, or she to me, I was aware of her Christian testimony. And based on the friends she kept, the clubs of which she was a member, the home from which she sprang, and the character for which she was known, there could be little doubt that she was a person of excellence.

I was thinking about Beth again today.

I had just sat down in my easy chair and turned on the evening news. And for no apparent reason, I could suddenly visualize her face, and imagine her voice. And my overriding thought was that of her unlived experiences, unrealized potential, and unfulfilled dreams.

And tears came to my eyes.

One can only ponder why some leave us seemingly before their time. Those who possessed more of providence than most of the rest of us, and whose plans, wherewithal, and potential impact were in and about them.

And I cannot account for having remained here when, time and again, my own dark angel passed close enough to touch me, but paradoxically chose to move along.

And yet, we can be assured that what seems to be the randomness, unfairness and capriciousness of the Almighty

… is anything but,

though His reasons are past finding out.

And somehow I will content myself in His present unwillingness to clarify or rectify the overwhelming discrepancy which we refer to as providence, and will live out my life with people like Beth in mind.

Taken up, and given over to my own lived-out experiences, realized potential, and fulfilled dreams.

For this is all that I can do.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 14. Volumes 1-15, Copyright 2015.
If you wish to use, copy, share or "save" my blogs, please provide me credit by name, and the title of my volume

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment