Sunday, November 15, 2015

Sowing Seeds


Over the years I have taken a couple of dozen young, and not so young people under my wing, and offered them the opportunity to participate in a formal discipleship program aimed at preparing them for life, ministry and impact.

And among a handful of my students who have stood out among the rest, one of the most recent is a young lady by the name of Alyssa. She simply has a heart for God, and the furtherance of His kingdom; to the exclusion of anything which might interfere with, or prevent the achievement of her spiritual goals. In my 2/3 of a century of life on this planet, I have rarely come across anyone who displays the singlemindedness, unselfishness and empathy of this young lady.

Having finished the intern program which I was privileged to provide her, Alyssa went on to enroll in an undergrad degree at Oral Roberts University, and subsequently completed a graduate degree there.

And now, wonder of wonders, my former intern has been offered a contract with the Reinhard Bonnke team. Rev. Bonnke is an unfamiliar name to many in America, but he has led crusades in Africa which drew up to 5 million people; with 200,000 ushers and 1 million conversions.

It has been a privilege and honor to sow a few seed, and to watch them sprout and bear fruit. I think of those first few seeds I sowed as a “Royal Rangers” leader, half a century ago. (“My boys” would be 60+ now). And how that group has continued to grow and thrive. Amazingly enough, (at least to me) one of my boys from so long ago, a fella named Joe, is now leading the group.


And there are the thousands of men and women, boys and girls who have passed through the counseling center. How grateful I am for the impact God allowed me to exercise in their lives. The hundreds of students who once sat behind desks in primary, secondary and university classrooms, and who are, no doubt, scattered around the globe. And the dozens I have been privileged to mentor.

People with names like Rita, a young lady who spent a couple of summers in mainland China, and helped sharpen the English skills of Chinese exchange students. And Melody, who works with youth, and leads worship music in her local church, and who has recently been credentialed as a minister of the Gospel. And Jack and Jamie who went from here, and pastor a church in Pittsburgh. And Mike and Sheryl, and their daughter, Nicole, former interns who were appointed missionaries to Indonesia. And Yeny, a former university student of mine who returned to her home in South Korea, finished her graduate degree and now teaches in an elementary environment there. Then there is Sherri, my former co-counselor who, almost two decades later, is still involved in the counseling/deliverance ministry.


And I would be remiss not to mention family members, with whom, our Lord has given me rich impact: My God-daughter, Jaci, who having finished her undergrad degree, and employed as a social worker, continues to pursue her master’s degree. Her husband, Travis, having recently finished his graduate degree, has applied for appointment as a chaplain in the United States Army. And of course, my very own daughter, Kristy, who is also involved in the area of social work, and is currently pursuing her advanced degree.

Sowing seed.

I believe we, as Christian leaders, are given the opportunity and privilege of sowing seed. Some will fall on arid ground, wither, and die. Others will germinate, spring up, and flourish, and in turn, will drop new seeds, and so the cycle continues.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across an adage which is personally comforting to me.

“I am sowing seeds which will one day grow up into trees; but under whose shade I may never rest.”

And to be sure, it is much less about the sower, and much more about the seeds. (For I am little more than a means to an end). Any one of us who are given the potential for simple impact depends on the seeds for our impact to become geometrical. The mantle of ministry which I now wear must soon be shed. As a result, I sow.

God grant that my mantle falls upon good ground.
 

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 15. Copyright Volumes 1-15.

**Under penalty of law, do not share, copy or "save" this blog without including the credit line, above.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment