Friday, November 20, 2015

But I Promised Dad...


I'm convinced our free market system will say or do anything to sell goods and services; including spewing half-truths, and drumming up negative emotions.

The highly profitable elderly health care system is certainly no exception.

In a previous blog I wrote about a particular geriatric care commercial in which the narrator makes a peculiar statement,

“You don’t put your loved one in a nursing home

… like a jar of peanut butter!”

Well, readers I can tell you that got my attention.

The advertisement went on to “encourage” its audience that their elderly loved one ought to have at least as much “say so” about their care, as the responsible relative.

Tonight another commercial aired aimed at generating the same emotion, (Guilt) but taking an altogether opposite tact.

“But Sis, I promised Dad that I would never put Mom in a nursing home! I promised him we would keep her in their home.”

In this case the ad was promoting a home health care agency.

(Whatever emotion which needs to be generated to promote a particular agenda).

Well, my friends, as the son of a mother who resides in a skilled nursing center, I can tell you she was being discharged from the hospital, and experiencing a form of dementia related to opiate pain medication, when I admitted her to her present environment. Jar of peanut butter, or not, I was the responsible party having to make the most responsible decision at the time. Since mama was admitted, she has “come to herself,” and understands that given her many physical and cognitive issues, she is exactly where she needs to be during this season of her life.

And what of the most recent commercial?

(“But Sis, I promised Dad… etc., etc.)

Sometimes well-meaning promises have to be broken. Sometimes circumstances change. Sometimes promises should have never been made in the first place. The fact remains that the hypothetical mother in this commercial may, like my mother, have so many issues that the only reasonable solution is 24/7/365 care in a residential nursing environment.

I can tell you I despise commercials designed to conjure up emotions leading to faulty decision-making. And sadly, the entities behind the advertisements know exactly what they’re doing, and they simply

… don’t give a rip.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 15. Copyright Vol. 1-15

**Under penalty of law, do not share, copy or "save" this blog without including the credit line, above 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment