Sunday, November 1, 2015

Choosing Prison

**As we begin the month of November, let me encourage you to check out my previous blogs for June-October. I have been extremely prolific in my blogs for these months, and though I posted approx. twice as many blog titles, it appears "Blogger.com" is only providing readers access to about half of them. Nonetheless, you will find a multitude to choose from. Another note. Only persons with a gmail email account may leave comments


I was just watching a segment of the television series, “Sunday Morning,” and an insightful clip came on related to Alcatraz.

It seems that each year a reunion of former guards and former inmates and their families takes place. Of course, with the passing years fewer and fewer guards and inmates attend, since the last 27 inmates left the prison in 1963, and time is taking its toll.

This past year may well be the last reunion, since only 3 guards and 2 inmates made the trip. In an interview, “Mr. Brown,” one of the two inmates who attended, uttered the most poignant statement.

“I was an angry man.

… until

I came to the realization that I CHOSE this place. As a result of my actions I chose prison.

And not being able to blame society and the system anymore

… suddenly all my anger disappeared!”

If only more of our offenders and prison inmates would come to that same realization.
 
By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 14. Volumes 1-15, Copyright 2015.

**I ask that if you copy and paste my blogs, share or download them to your hard drive that you include my name and source line which I always include at the bottom of each blog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment