Thursday, July 11, 2019

THE KENTUCKY COLONEL


It was almost half a century ago, but it could have just as easily been yesterday.

I was a student at the (then) Southeastern Bible College, (now Southeastern University). As an off-campus, commuting student I was required to attend chapel services 2-3 times a week.

The guest speaker at one of the morning services was none other than Colonel Harland Sanders; founder and CEO of the world famous Kentucky Fried Chicken Corporation.

As might be expected, “The Colonel” was dressed in his equally world famous white suit, and “Southern plantation” tie. As he was introduced by the president of our school, he slowly strode to the podium, and proceeded to share the history of his enterprise, beginning with his adornment of chicken cadavers with various herbs and spices, in an attempt to determine just the right combination, for just the right taste. The man in white went on to detail how a single rural location duplicated itself, and how over the course of several years his brand of fried chicken became the best known, and most loved product of its kind in the world.

Three things about the “Kentucky Colonel” impressed me the most, or at least, have remained with me the longest.

His quiet and peaceful demeanor. (Even with a microphone, and sitting within a few rows of the front of the auditorium, I had to listen carefully to his words).

His “I’m really no different than you are” sort of presentation. He knew his roots, and they were humbler than most any member of the student body.

But more importantly, this man knew who he was, and to Whom he belonged. The Colonel acknowledged his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and gave Him the glory for how far He had brought him.

And though that old Southern gentleman has long since gone on to his reward, and while poor facsimiles of the Colonel have lately appeared on KFC commercials, of all the chapel services I attended at my beloved school, I think I will always remember, and cherish the one to which I have alluded the most.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment