Monday, July 1, 2019

ELVIS' PROFOUNDLY GENEROUS HEART


I was listening to the Elvis Channel today; the only channel I ever listen to on Sirius Radio; (though I’m paying “an arm and a leg” for my yearly subscription).

And while I love many (though not all) of Elvis’ songs, I love the stories surrounding “The King of Rock ‘n Roll” even more. And it seems the vast majority of the stories on the Elvis Channel are told during George Klein’s segments.

Old George was, perhaps, Elvis’ best friend during high school, went on to work for him, and forty years after Elvis “left the building,” (and though he is in his 80’s now) continues as the main DJ on the channel named after his childhood buddy.

I confess. I love stories about Elvis so much that I almost always transcribe them into blogs, and post them on my social media page and internet blogsite. The story I heard yesterday is no exception.

As my wife and I were on the way to a movie in a nearby town, I was listening to the George Klein broadcast. He happened to be interviewing one of Elvis’ former band members, a guitarist, named T.G. Sheppard.

T.G. told a couple of funny stories which had little or nothing to do with Elvis.

Well after Elvis went on to his reward, it seemed he and a few other musicians were playing a concert before 20,000 patrons. And as they “strutted their stuff,” Sheppard realized that the longer he sang, the greater the sensation that his pants were becoming increasingly wetter.

 Well, he said he looked up at the sky and realized it wasn’t raining, and he knew he hadn’t “lost his bladder.” Yet, his pants were so wet he became concerned for his modesty; (since his trousers were made of the sort of material which becomes virtually see through when wet).

Pt. 2

Suddenly, he looked down below the stage, and noticed an 8 or 10 year old boy with a squirt gun, and he was unloading the H2O on his lower anatomy. With an embarrassed chuckle, Elvis’ former guitarist explained his predicament to his audience, and they roared with laughter.

However, Mr. Sheppard’s next story was the one I had “been waiting for.”

Somewhere along the way, Elvis became aware of T.G.’s plans to branch out on his own, and, of course, he wanted to do something nice for him to thank him for a job well done.

Sheppard continued,

“One day I received a message from the King, and night or day, well, you just didn’t ignore a summons from Elvis. As a result, I jumped behind the wheel of my old jalopy, and ‘set sail’ for Graceland.

As I drove through the gate, and pulled up in front of the mansion, I noticed a brand new tour bus sitting in the grass. I honestly didn’t think all that much about it since Elvis had important friends in high places. However, as I slowed to a stop, unstrapped my seat belt, and stepped out of the car, Elvis came ‘bee bopping’ out of the front door, wearing this humongous grin, and exclaimed,

‘T.G., this is your bus.’

To which I responded,

Elvis, I don’t need no bus. I don’t even have a band!

Well, with this my famous friend laughed, and replied,

‘T.G., I bought you a bus, but I ain’t buying you no _____ band!’”

Pt. 3

By now I have heard too many such stories on the Elvis Channel. Elvis knew how to be a friend, and he never forgot his humble beginnings. He simply wanted “to do” for his friends, and those who were loyal to him.

So often, George Klein have spoken about times when Elvis’ birthday was approaching or Christmas was drawing near. And at times such as this, he would ask Elvis what he needed; what could he could get for him. And, without fail, Presley would always grow serious, and assure him,

“George, I got everything I ever needed, or for that matter, which I ever wanted. I don’t need nothing George…except your loyalty.”

Of course, this didn’t keep Elvis from purchasing some pretty lavish gifts for his buddies in what become known as, “The Taking Care of Business Band” (TCB).

He was famous for buying his buddies some pretty unique, and sometimes exquisite gifts. Klein tells how Presley bought him a Poodle; (which he attempted to turn down) having said,

“Elvis, I’m a single man, and you know I’m gone a lot. I don’t need no Poodle.”

But the King wouldn’t take ‘No’ for an answer, and told George to take her and name her, “E.P.,” (his initials), but to pronounce the name, “Eppie.” The DJ owned the dog for many years.

Perhaps Elvis’ two favorite gifts were diamond rings and Cadillacs. G.K. (“The Jeeker in Your Speaker”) was certainly no exception to the rule.

One evening he received a call from his friend and employer; who summoned him to a non-descript building in the heart of Memphis. When George arrived, Elvis was standing by the curb waiting for him. Smiling, Presley threw his arm around him, walked him one building over, and into the showroom of a Cadillac dealer; where he threw open the driver’s door of a red Cadillac, and told him to get in. Later, he gave the Jeeker a diamond encrusted ring; which he still wears today.

Elvis was far from perfect, but one thing can be said for Elvis. He knew how to be a friend, and to befriend a friend.

And “you just can’t take that away.”
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 2017
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment