Friday, July 5, 2019

MY GREAT UNCLE'S DUBIOUS ACQUAINTANCE


It was the early part of the year 1862 that by chance I happened to meet the boy Doc Powell, who afterwards became the man of unenviable fame, Lewis Paine, the attempted assassin of Secretary Seward, (and Lincoln conspirator). I was the bearer of a message to his father who lived at this time in Hamilton County, Florida.

I had become acquainted with all the family, he excepted, previous to my visit there. I had heard of him as a very indolent, and worthless boy, the black sheep of the flock. I had fancied him as a boy of my own size. His brother, Oliver and I walked out to the barn to put away the horse I rode, and found him asleep on the barn floor. Oliver aroused him, and when he was awakened he leered at us in a  manner I shall never forget, and after rubbing his eyes a while, the boy that was destined to figure so prominently in one of the most remarkable tragedies in this, or any age, looked me square in the face for the first time. I thought him one of the ugliest, and most repulsive boys I ever met…great coarse hair and a dull stupid countenance ; slow and awkward in movement.

Such was my first impression of the boy who, as a man became the pliant tool of such a scoundrel as John Wilkes Booth. Later on, in the evening when I got better acquainted I found him remarkably good-natured. We wandered around a lake that evening, and he pointed out his favorite fishing grounds to me, and told me fishermen stories which showed him to be a sportsman of the first-water.

Among them was one that was of peculiar interest to me. He told me that he had slipped off one Sunday morning with tackle for some sport and caught the Devil. He had a terrible fight to land him, and when he finally succeeded , he came near biting off one of his fingers, and walked right back into the water. I asked him how he further identified the “Old Man” when he told me Uncle Green, an old Negro on the place, had told him the character of his game. From the description he gave of it I have since been able to make an alligator turtle out of it; one of the most vicious reptiles that was ever created. This one accomplished a reform that the fear of the rod never could; breaking a bad boy from fishing on Sunday.

Before the evening wore away, Dock and I were great friends; all his repulsiveness had vanished, and it was with regret next morning that I parted with him. I exacted a promise from him to visit me at my home, and gave him a similar one in return, neither one of which was ever fulfilled. I never met him but once afterwards and that was purely accidental, as he shortly afterwards joined Capt. Stewart’s company of the 2nd Fla. Regt., and I never heard from him but once, until his father got a letter from him after Lincoln’s assassination. His father endeavored to go see him in Washington, but lack of funds prevented. The old man was a soul of honor, no stain rested on any of his family with the single exception of this boy; whose full name was Lewis Thornton Powell. The old man died a few years ago in Orange County in this State (Florida) full of years and honor.

It was circulated a few years after Paine was hanged that the Elder Powell said he had yielded up his life in a good cause. This I am satisfied was an untruth; for while the entire family proved loyal to the South, Lewis excepted, (he having joined the United States Army at one time) they were too high-toned and honorable to countenance an assassination in any form.

His brother Oliver, before mentioned, died or was killed early in the war; while the oldest brother, George, is still living in this state. Such, dear reader, was my acquaintance with the man who for a given price attempted to take the life of Secretary Seward, and thereby coupled his name to one of the most atrocious crimes of modern times.

While Paine’s execution was deplored by his family, and their sympathetic friends, it was generally acknowledged to be as just as such penalties ever is.

Of one thing, I and every other one is satisfied that knew anything of him, it is this; that he was incapable of conceiving or aiding in the origination of such a fiendish plot as this. And in acting his part, he was simply as clay in the moulder’s hands. It was his nature to be easily influenced for either good or evil, and persons who knew him well said that any move or enterprise that had the element of danger in it had a fascination for him that he was unable to resist.

It was said of the family that the fear of man was something they knew nothing of. Still, they were peaceful in manners, and courteous to all, and more law-abiding citizen than his father never lived.
Excerpt from "Reminiscences of the War Between the States" by Joshua Frier, my 2x great Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment