Wednesday, July 10, 2019

MAKING MEMORIES


I was just reflecting on one of the most precious, yet underrated gifts, or at least possibilities which God has granted us. I refer to that particular gift as

…”making memories.”

Perhaps the best example of which I am personally aware occurred ten, or twelve  years ago, and in the context of my role as a mentor.

Nikki was 16 at the time, and I met with her on a weekly basis. Having set a goal to serve as a missionary to Sudan, she became one of my early volunteers for a self-styled, year-long intern program I developed.

Week after week, Nikki’s mother, Donna, turned into the church parking lot, and momentarily parked at the entrance to the u-shaped driveway; to allow my intern to exit the car. And week after week I stood in the lobby waiting to open one of four glass doors for her. And more often than not, before Nikki stepped out of the car, she turned to embrace her mother.

And week after week the foregoing routine changed very little.

Until…

As usual, I stood in the lobby awaiting my young intern. And, as usual, I noticed Donna’s car pull off the main road, and into the church parking lot. It was about this time the entire routine changed altogether.

“Strange,” (I thought) both Nikki and Donna suddenly exited their respective doors, stood parallel with one another, (gazing furtively at the church doors) and

…began to run!

“Well, now” (I thought) “I’ve never seen anyone do this before!”

It was Donna. Now it was Nikki. Now it was foot by foot, stride for stride.

(I hadn’t witnessed such an exciting race since the previous year’s Kentucky Derby)!

As the duo neared the lobby entrance, it seemed their speed only increased. I was all but certain one or both of the women would find their way into the lobby; without the benefit of an open door!

And BAM!

Mother and daughter arrived at their ad-lib goal line together. Not an inch separated the two, and four hands slapped the glass door in unison.

As I recall, Donna and Nikki fell into each other arms, and stood there like school girls; laughing ‘til they almost cried. (At least, I did).

As someone who is “taken up” with the concept of leaving a legacy, I think one of the foremost ways we do so is by role modeling, and of necessity, role modeling requires a consistent, and ongoing series of actions.

My friend, Donna, did not hesitate to role model, (and had fun doing so) that day. And in the process of doing so, she busied herself with leaving a gift to Nikki. A gift which money cannot buy, and one of inestimable worth.

I have often shared a poignant phrase with loved ones, friends and clients.

“We cannot stay here.” We are all on our way “outta here.”

And so I think it behooves you and I to realize both the responsibility and sheer pleasure of making memories with our loved ones while we still move, and breathe and live; one memory at a time.

Making memories, indeed!


by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above










No comments:

Post a Comment