Tuesday, July 16, 2019

THE DISCIPLINE OF SUFFERING


And they said to them, “We must go through many hardships here.” (Acts 14:22)

If anyone knew hardships, if anyone knew struggles, if anyone knew persecution, it was the Apostle Paul. His ‘list’ is nothing short of amazing.

I think his entire list bears repeating here.

“Yet, however they conjure up such confidence, (I am speaking as a fool) I am equal to the task.

“Are they Jewish? So am I. Are they sons of Abraham? So am I. Are they descendants of the patriarchs? So am I. Are they slaves of Christ Jesus? I am more so. I have expended my best time and efforts, languished in prison, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death on a recurring basis.  Five times the Jews delivered the forty lashes minus one upon my bare back. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, shipwrecked three times, a day and a night in the rolling ocean, and (very much like our Lord when He was here) I have had no place to lay my head.

“I have experienced danger in rivers, danger from floods, danger from highwaymen, danger from my fellow Jews, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in desolate places, danger on the sea, and  danger among false believers. I have labored and toiled, and have often gone without sleep, I have been famished and thirsty, I have lacked clothing, and endured the winter’s frost. Besides all this, I have been anxious for the churches with which God has entrusted me. Who is weak, and I am not weak with him? Who has lost hope, and I have failed to encourage him?

“If I am proud, I will be proud of the things which highlight my weaknesses.  The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who deserves everlasting praise knows I am telling you the simple truth. In Damascus, the governor under King Aretas set a watch on the city in order to detain me.  Yet, I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall, and made good my escape. No doubt, the kind of departure of which I can take justifiable pride.” (2nd Cor. 11:21-33, McDonald Paraphrase of the New Testament)

Pt. 2

Forgive me if I don’t enumerate my own list of sufferings here. While I have endured much during the course of my 70 years on this planet, I admit what I have suffered is nowhere as impressive as the sufferings of that apostle of our faith, our dear brother Paul.

And it goes without saying that our Lord Jesus Christ suffered above and beyond us all. Aside from his physical suffering on his journey to, and on the cross, the Son of God voluntarily took on Himself the sins of approximately 100 billion people who would ever inhabit this planet. As a result, Christ’ emotional and spiritual sufferings were far and beyond greater than His physical suffering.

I was interacting with my former co-counselor recently, and we “stumbled on” the subject of suffering. And I typed in the following text message.

“I will often tell my clients and interns that ‘for all the troubles and trials I have encountered, the longer I live the easier it gets because I know the One who saved me, and I know the glory that awaits me.”

I love the verse in what is perhaps the most doctrinally-oriented volume which Paul wrote; the Book of Romans.

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory which will be revealed in us.” (Romans 8:18, KJV)

My friends, this is not all there is. The life we live on this side of the veil is momentary, and passes like a fog in the morning. As I close this particular bit of encouragement, allow me to leave you with the following verse.

“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.(1st Cor. 10:13, NIV)
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment